Latest Build

I used to post under "thebadger" but I lost my login info.

Here is my latest guitar...I guess I will call it "Silky B's 9 String Gitfiddle"

It is a 9 string guitar with the 3 high strings having double strings like a 12 string to get that chorus-y sound.

Some of the specs

Carved flame maple top with a purple/reddish stain

Body wood is alder

Neck wood maple

Fretboard is ziricote

Faux body binding

Flame maple neck binding

MOP diamond fretboard inlay

Headstock logo is gold leaf w/ nitro clear over it

22 jumbo frets

24.75 scale length

Gotoh tuning machine

Gotoh bridge

Recessed knobs,switch and straplocks

PAF style humbuckers

Bone nut

All hardware on the back is black to hide it better

Nitro black on the body/neck, Nitro clear over whole guitar

7-3.jpg

3-8.jpg

8-1.jpg

4-8.jpg

Yep. Very cool concept and design.

The only thing that kinda baffles me is the tuner layout. If you had placed 5 tuners on the bass side, the E, A, D and both G strings would have strung to that side and avoided the Y spit you have going on between the G strings. And imagining the guitar in the playing position, it might look a bit unbalanced with 5 on the bottom. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Overall, nicely done!

Peace,

Mark

I am pretty much in agreement about the tuner layout, I thought it was the right thing to do until it was too late, I don't think it is horrible but could be better. It was my first try at this design. If I do it again I would change the tuner layout and make the top horn a bit larger and put the strap button on the horn instead of behind the back of the neck. I am really happy with overall though.

Nice build. I'm surprised 9 string guitars didn't take off when they were manufactured in the early 1970s.

I owned two 9 string guitar back in the 70s. One was an acoustic made by either Hohner or Hofner, can't remember which. It was strung with normal EAD, and GBE were doubled, but not octaved like a 12 string.

The second was a solid body made by Framus, and was strung in a rather novel manner.

E = single string

A = single string

D = normal D plus one octave higher

G = normal G plus one octave higher

B = normal B plus one octave higher

E = single string

I just found this photo on the 'net, looks just the same as mine was.

framus9string.jpg

9 strings are awesome.... like a 12 with added power chords!!

funny thing is not half a day before you posted this one of my regular customers said the words 'fanned fret 9 string baritone' to me. still thinking about the possibilities with that one!

i remember schecter making a 10 string in the 90's... hellcat shape with a spangly gold finish and 3 chrome covered mini-humbucker meets teisco style pickups. it was pure awesome, but i cant find any info on it now