Acoustic 12 String Bridge

Maggot: I'd trust AllParts quality. Kinda hoping for ebony (picky git that I am!).

Jaycee: I don't want to try and make the bridge on the first acoustic. There's a pretty big learning curve as-is. That "extra holes" idea is worth investigating. Yes, I have been all over eBay. The only ones regularly available are from a seller who only sells low-end stuff. However... the mod suggestion opens up a lot more possibilities.

Just some more detail on the bridge. When I was researching about the design I saw some pics of a bridge designed by John Osthoff, it was not unlike mine in design (which gave me the confidence to go ahead with it) but rather than the strings coming the back edge they were anchored by the ball ends going over a pin which was seated into the bridge. Unfortunately I can't find the pics of it.

Anyway heres mine

Brdgedetail.jpg

I'm sure I could. The main reason I don't want to is because I don't want to buy the reaming tool for the end pins. I doubt I'll be making enough acoustics to warrant the purchase.

Really, the only reason I'm wanting to make an acoustic at all is so that I can learn the process and then make an archtop. That will lead to 335-ish semi-acoustics. Neither needs an acoustic-style bridge.

The main reason I don't want to is because I don't want to buy the reaming tool for the end pins.

Use the tang of a suitable file as detailed in Irving Sloanes "Steel String Guitar Construction"

Polish it to give it some good edges. Works great!

Keith

Really, the only reason I'm wanting to make an acoustic at all is so that I can learn the process and then make an archtop. That will lead to 335-ish semi-acoustics. Neither needs an acoustic-style bridge.

Why make an acoustic at all then? Imo a 335 is closer to an electric than it is an acoustic.

I agree: for the end result it is virtually the same. The construction is so radically different that they can't be considered the same though. That's why we differentiate with the terms "chambered" vs. "semi-acoustic".

Like I said - I want to learn the acoustic-making process so that I can make the bill blown archtop so that I can make semi-acoustics. I feel that I need to understand one before I can do a good job on the next. Think of it in solid-body electric terms: it's easier to do a bolt-on dirst, then a set, then a neck-through. The bodies should be 2-3 piece slabs at first, then getting a top, then chambered/carved/etc. It's all just going through the steps and learning curves.