For Lovers Of Wood Carving

Rob Mock. Really nice guy (gotta be to put up with teachin' me to carve hahaha) up in the DC area. If you do acoustics he's worth checking out since he sells bridge pins of all sorts of materials, with all sorts of details, even carved ones. He was showin' me them just the other day and there's some cool stuff.

Also check out William Jeffrey Jones guitars if you guys like carving. Another very nice fellow and he's got RIDICULOUS carving chops! He used to do the mold carves for Spawn figurines, etc!

Chris

Interesting strat.

Does he have pickups hidden in it?

I dont care for the dark stain to simulate the pickguard, but thats just me.

I wonder how deep the carve is on strat. Looks pretty deep from the pic. Makes me wonder how he cleaned it up and finished it.

I have a Rhoads almost done with a really deep carve. Sanding is a nightmare. Finish would have to be a wipe on since I cant get finish underneath overhanging features...

I've played that guitar and the carving is fully pierced and through. It is not just surface carving. Also, it's not a stained pickguard, that's a totally different wood inlaid into the other wood. The guitar has pickups hidden inside the carve, however, due to their distance from the strings they are quite low output. As for sanding, if I remember correctly Rob said he spent 3 months, several hours a day, sitting in front of the TV with tiny pieces of sandpaper sanding the thing.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...