Do People That Work In Guitar Production Factories Get Massive Discoun

I was watching a PRS factory tour on youtube and it just got me thinking....i've worked in detail shops and when my car needed detailed, i would pull it in after my shift ended and detail it for free. I've worked in factories where you could by "flawed" products at like 75% cheaper than retail. I've had guitars clear coated by a friend of mine who works in a cabinet shop for free. he just brings them into work and in his down time sprays them for me.

I know something like that would never be FREE but I'm just curious if they get heafty discounts or maybe factory flawed models super cheap.

Anyone know?

flounder gives employees a 50% off MSRP. Which on lower priced items is not really much better than sweetwater or music 123. On high dollar items, it makes a significant difference.

However- you must also note- people who work in that god forsakin sweatshop known as flounder in Corona- do not make enough money to buy the high dollar items. Ask me how I know. I spent 3 miserable years there. I started at min wage which was a whopping $7.25 at the time... Yeah... no high end equipment for me..... Oh... and 3 years later... I got up to a WHOPPING $10.63.... Did I mention I was one of 2 people who could do the bass block inlays and neck binding? Hell yeah.... pimp yourself out and all your mad skills for an insulting paycheck... and not be able to afford squat even at a 50% off MSRP...

A buddy of mine wanted a "strat pack" for his kid. Sweetwater was cheaper than my price by a couple bucks.

flounder can kiss my hairy non spanglish speaking a.... (I was 1 of 4 non spanglish speaking employees in the "mill"... and I know at least 1 other was laid off after I quit..... "made in mex suck o.... made in corona..... either way..... made by mexicans...."

Edited by postal

im sure it is diffent for every company out there. i know every job i have ever worked had its perks and every company has diffent policies for stuff like that. i worked in a tire shop once we got tires below cost because our suplier would discount them for employees we got parts and wholesale and if there wasnt any thing going on got to work on our own cars on company time(one rule was if customers came befor our cars) the company i work for now well um i get all the earplugs i can steel.

I know Martin will let you build your own guitar if you have down time. You get to keep it.

On Antiques Road Show, they had a Martin U-kil-a-ly (can't spell) that was custom made in the shops by an employee for himself.

That's pretty cool- but I can see if the company would not want a logo on a personal build- as it wouldnt represent an authorized company product.

Yeah....

But some builders are better than others.

I can see a company like martin being a little more conservative about what gets their logo on it. I would. What if its a new guy making a full instrument for the first time? Would you want your successful brandname associated with it?

Not me. Put your own name on there.... thanks.

+ even though its a company employee built in the factory with factory materials.... as you said it's a Uke... and they dont make a Uke... so it wouldnt even be a company approved model. So why would a non approved 1 off frankenstein uke from the new guy who dont know nothing... get a company logo on it?

Just doesnt make a lot of sense.

And as to add value as a "collectors" item... I dont think so. What do I know... but I wouldnt buy a 'custom martin uke' thinking it was a good investment...

Not entirely an answer with information in line with the original question, but it may be useful in some way. Artists at the bottom end of the spectrum are likely only to receive perfect retail instruments at wholesale/trade price. I guess that is likely to encompass employees also, depending on the company. Dinged and flawed stock are two different things. A flawed instrument may not be let out into the wild at any price as having the originating company's logo on it can be a liability for reputation on quality. Dinged is what it is - if it can't be repaired then it might be sold cheap to employees, otherwise scrapped for no financial return. Again, a company may have views on doing this and may prefer to scrap then sell imperfect gear.

Some companies sell dinged or flawed instruments specifically for sale online, or so it is said. An easy outlet....

I know Martin will let you build your own guitar if you have down time. You get to keep it.

On Antiques Road Show, they had a Martin U-kil-a-ly (can't spell) that was custom made in the shops by an employee for himself.

You can't build your own anymore at Martin. That stopped over 10 years ago. trust me on this one guys.

Not entirely an answer with information in line with the original question, but it may be useful in some way. Artists at the bottom end of the spectrum are likely only to receive perfect retail instruments at wholesale/trade price. I guess that is likely to encompass employees also, depending on the company. Dinged and flawed stock are two different things. A flawed instrument may not be let out into the wild at any price as having the originating company's logo on it can be a liability for reputation on quality. Dinged is what it is - if it can't be repaired then it might be sold cheap to employees, otherwise scrapped for no financial return. Again, a company may have views on doing this and may prefer to scrap then sell imperfect gear.

Some companies sell dinged or flawed instruments specifically for sale online, or so it is said. An easy outlet....

Much as I hate fender... and their qc standards are way low....

Anything that doesnt pass qc is cut up and scrapped. Fender had much higher production when I was working there- the downturn in the economy, they cut back production and had a big lay off too... but up until 2007 they scrapped about $100k worth of materials every year. Think about that number a second... SCRAPPED $100K PER YEAR...

Been meaning to show this thing off for some time....

Have a look-

This is the SINGLE BEST piece of birdseye I have EVER seen.

tn_IMG_0083.jpg

Its a custom shop...

tn_IMG_0085.jpg

tn_IMG_0084.jpg

I bet everyone is drooling about now....

.... just cant wait to see the whole thing.... can you?

..... wait for it.....

....wait for it.....

.....wait for it.....

HERE IT IS!!!!!!!

tn_IMG_0086.jpg

Yup..... Best piece of birdseye I've EVER SEEN..... and custom shop chopped it right behind the nut.

Worst of all.... There was nothing wrong with the neck. They just "didnt need it". And no one can have it either.... Has to be scrapped- The guy in charge of custom shop neck line in the mill gave me that head right after he chopped it off.. Just to screw with me. The entire neck was the same ultra dense birdseye...

Sickening aint it?

I'm going to put it upside down on a base, and use it for a coat hook. (seriously) At least fenders are good for something!

I made a coat rack at the factory... for use at the factory... using cut up painted strat bodies... I angle cut the bodies, and used the upper horn as the hook. I forgot... 4 or 5 bodies like this all in a row... all different colors. Might still be there.. Anyone takes a tour... look on the wall by the drill presses used for side dots- accross from the fret gang saws- I had people on tours take a picture of that coat rack.... funny!

Edited by postal