2nd Build - Single Cut Junior

mannym

Well, I said I always wanted one. And after the first build rendered me an addict, I thought it was time to pick up another build.

More salvaged Timber. Heavy redgum, trued and glued.

jnrglu.jpg

And salvaged blank used for neck.

jnrneck.jpg

Using a Les Paul Plan and made up some Templates for the body outlines and headstock.

jnrtempl8.jpg

And we wait for a day or 3 before we thickness the body blank.

Cheers

Manny

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

OK,

Found some time today in between drying coats of deck oil to cut the body.

As always the minimalist, and because I dont have a band saw, off I went with my trusty Hand Saw.

lpcut2.jpg

lpcut1.jpg

Got those edges rounded off just outside the line with my trusty grinder, and the body is now ready to sand to final shape with the sander.

lpcut3.jpg

holly **** lol, i've never seen anyone use a saw before that's awesome, but i guess if you dont have a band saw that weirdly enough would be one of logical things to, i use to use a jigsaw before i bought a bandsaw and it literally drove me crazy with all the angle cuts!! if i wanted the edges to be inline i would have to cut mm's away from my template and spend alot of time sanding it but even then i could never get a straight enough line on my neck cut and cutaways.but anyway all i am say is I AM VERY IMPRESSED good work.

holly **** lol, i've never seen anyone use a saw before that's awesome, but i guess if you dont have a band saw that weirdly enough would be one of logical things to, i use to use a jigsaw before i bought a bandsaw and it literally drove me crazy with all the angle cuts!! if i wanted the edges to be inline i would have to cut mm's away from my template and spend alot of time sanding it but even then i could never get a straight enough line on my neck cut and cutaways.but anyway all i am say is I AM VERY IMPRESSED good work.

Hey Hay!!!!

Man I can tell you now, I tried using a jig saw, but this salvaged timber (Australian Red Gum - is out of a warehouse and was sitting around for 70 years before I found it) Im using is very very hard and at 45 mm thick I barely made a dent. I dont have the world's best router bits, so I thought take it easy go slow with the saw, get rid of the "big" stuff......and then I thought to try my trusty grinder with a 80 grit sanding disk on rubber pad. I used the grinder to "carve" my first neck on the Tele I recently made, and its a very versatile tool......just gotta remember to be patient and go slow.

Now its ready to sand to the line with my belt sander and home made sanding drums.

A bit more work today on the body. Rigged up my belt sander and sanded the body flush to lines. Just didnt get to the cutaway...should get the drums onto that section this week.

sand1.jpg

Parts are starting to arrive. Bridge, bone nut, knobs, tuners and p-90 pup arrived this week. I'm waiting on the dog ear cover. Here's a mock up.

mock1.jpg

Cheers

Manny

Started work on fret board. Marked out profile and fret lines.

Slotted and drilled holes. Merbau nice and dry and has a nice reddish tinge, with some black flecks that will be interesting to see how this borad comes up sanded fine and polished.

fretbd1.jpg

Holes are 6.5 mm. Added glue and fitted Pearl dots.

dots1.jpg

dots3.jpg

Next step is to make the 12" Radius Sanding block. Neck needs to be marked up and cut out. Then glue fretboard and sand to radius before carve. Im taking my time on this one. Want to get the neck right first time.

More Later.

Cheers

Manny

Started work on the neck today.Firstly, completed a couple of templates for the neck profile and pick guard.

templates.jpg

Firstly, mark out the profile using the template I made earlier.

body1.jpg

I cut the head profile and then decided to route the truss rod channel whilst the neck blank was still square.

truss1.jpg

Unlike the tele, Im going for a single action on the Junior. Nice and snug.

truss2.jpg

And now the fun begins with shaping the neck.

The trusty old hand saw technique.

body3.jpg

And the rough shape is cut out.

body4.jpg

Light is going bad, and rain is setting in, so I called it an afternoon.

Next time we should have the final profile sanded, and ready for gluing the fretboard.

Cheers

Manny

Edited by mannym

A little more neck work tonight.

Sanded the profile to shape. Glued the "wings" for the wings for the headstock.

neck1.jpg

neck2.jpg

A day or so later cut out the headstock shape and sanded to lines. Trimmed down Fret board to correct width.

neck3.jpg

Next steps - tidy up the headstock, trim the neck to correct width. Drill tuner holes and glue fretboard. Should be able to finish most of that this weekend and be ready for final carve.

Cheers

Manny

Continued on a few things today. Finished shaping and sanding the headstock. Driilled teh peg holes and test fitted.

head1.jpg

head2.jpg

Trimmed down the fretboard and prepared to glue. Installed Truss rod, and fitted fret board. I used a couple of small nails as guide pins.

fretglu1.jpg

fretglu2.jpg

Clamped her up for the night.

fretglu3.jpg

Whilst the fretboard dries, I started on the 12" radius sanding block. Also started experimenting with this:

pick1.jpg

Added some of this:

pick2.jpg

And got this:

pick3.jpg

A little on the thin side, but Ill definitely try a larger/thicker bucket.

Thats it for today.

Cheers

Manny

Whilst the fretboard was getting to know the neck a little better, I thought Id make myself a 12" radius block - the easy way. No building an Eiffel Tower of frames and trusses to route the perfect curve. This time I took this:

jig2.jpg

Did some maths.

jig1.jpg

Whacked some scraps together:

jig3.jpg

And ended up with this:

jig4.jpg

OK. Thats ready for the fretboard. I finished up today by trimming the neck width close to the fretboard profile, and will sand and radius in the next few days. Then the carve.

necktrim.jpg

More later.

Manny

Edited by mannym

Mannym- I am new to the forum and looking forward to my first build. Do you have any suggestions where I might look for salvaged wood?

Hey Blues,

Im a little lucky in that I have family in the building game. They are able to salvage timber for me from some of the demolitions they do. I often help out and that way pick the stuff thats more suitable.

There are often furniture items that get turfed out every so often when there's a town cleanup or grabage pickup. If someone leaves a cabinet or old table on the side of the road, Ill definitely take a look and collect it if its usable. Garage Sales are a good one. Often youll find furniture items that are made of the right type of timber, and cost next to nothing. I picked up a bed frame for $5 recently with over 3 meters of suitable timber. The neck on this one and teh neck from my first build are from this old bed frame.

Look around your area. You'll be surprised at what you'll find. Just be careful of old building material and ensure there is no exposure to Asbestos debris. You dont want to get an unhealthy dose of that dust in your lungs. Wear a mask if need be to collect and when cleaning the timber. Not a paper mask, get a decent cannister filtered mask. also wear long sleeves and pants when collecting this stuff to make sure.

Edited by mannym