A Little Idea

I don't know if this has been done before, but I thought it might be cool to have either two different kinds of wood, or two different stains on the same type of wood, and have thin pieces creating a dark/light pattern for the body of a guitar.

here is a little photoshop of what I was thinking about. Its not the best example, but theres redder and yellower pieces. Maybe the direction of the grain could be switched on the odd pieces to make more contrast in stripes?

sgwood.jpg

I don't have a clue how to build a guitar, I just thought I would throw this idea at you guys!

If it has been done before, can someone show me some examples?

and If you think this is cool, and decide to make a guitar like this, please let me see the final result!!

Edited by mrlopez88

Check out Conklin Guitars, he does a lot of that kind of thing, but anti-symmetrical, free-form duality sort of ideas.

Google him for images, you'll see what I mean.

And I myself did that many many years ago with dye, I have a 35mm pic of an Ibanez Destroyer body I built that is dyed brown down one half and blue the other half, I just did it as an experiment in dyes way back when, it was never meant to finish and keep, but as a pic it is certainly interesting.

Yep, Conclin's got some awesome guitars. They incorporate a bit of what this thread is about. "Melted Tops". I was researching a few years ago how to build a stave snare drum. I built a few, but some guys in a forum (I forget which one) did exactly what you're talking about. Laminated different types of wood together to create some really cool 3D effects - thing MC Escher stairs...