1982 Musicman Body Repair

MiKro

Hi All,

Thought I would share a repair that just came in. A 1982 music Man bass (Pre Ernie Ball) 2 piece Ash body. Someone tried to install a trem bridge on this (sure ruined the value of this thing). The new owner finally found a string through Music Man bridge. So I now have to fill in the cavity and install the bridge. So here are the pics before I start. :D

mm1.jpg

mm2.jpg

mm3.jpg

MK

I'll be using my CNC router for this. Needless to say tests cuts will be made in MDF before the body is under the gun. :D

So the plan is to make an insert for the pocket.

mminsert1.jpg

mminsert2.jpg

Then pocket the offended area. This process will progress from being undersized by about 0.030" and profiled by 0.005" until a perfect fit is achieved.

mmpocket1.jpg

MK

So here is a quick simple fixture I came up with for this. Since it is a one of.:D Milled about 0.010 off my X block that fits in my T tracks to assure it's parallel. Made a new block with a piece of MDF glued to it. Setup an offset and milled the holes for the Bridge post screws to use to locate the body to the table. After clamping the Body down the fixture will obviously be removed to do the milling.

duh

MK

mmfixture1.jpg

Just another update.

I know this CNC crap is boring as hell.

So after cutting out the full size insert and a test pocket in Ash. I took a hard look at the tolerance of wood available around the threaded post inserts. I will redo the wood insert as this is an Ash body. There will be some tear out that will account for about 0.015. If it were a maple body I wouldn't hesitate on the cutout. I just don't want the Post insert holes to explode :D I have maybe 0.050, +/- 0.005 available on each side.

So now I have to find about 0.060 for this to work and it's going to be close. :D

Mike

does the bridge cover it all?

not an excuse to have a loose fit, but its nice if you dont have to worry about a perfect grain match

Wes, the bridge will cover everything but the last 0.125" at the rearend of the bridge. Actually it will be under the roll up of that part so not really visible with out close inspection. He's not worried about asthetics at this point :D

Just another update.

Nope, not at all. I for one, enjoy seeing a problem laid out and then systematically solved. I doubt seriously if I'm alone in this.

Carry on.

SR

Thanks Scott. :D

Have been delayed for a day or so. Will return with the new layout soon. Also the ferrules are on back order so Now I have plenty of time B)

MK

not an excuse to have a loose fit, but its nice if you dont have to worry about a perfect grain match

Wes, the bridge will cover everything but the last 0.125" at the rearend of the bridge. Actually it will be under the roll up of that part so not really visible with out close inspection. He's not worried about asthetics at this point :D

Just another update.

Nope, not at all. I for one, enjoy seeing a problem laid out and then systematically solved. I doubt seriously if I'm alone in this.

Carry on.

SR

Thanks Scott. :D

Have been delayed for a day or so. Will return with the new layout soon. Also the ferrules are on back order so Now I have plenty of time B)

MK

Since I don't own a cnc I appreciate seeing it in use. Boy, it does seem like cheating though. Just kidding. I liked how you showed your math, too. Your math teacher would be proud.

Just another update.

Carry on.

SR

Thanks Scott. B)

MK

Since I don't own a cnc I appreciate seeing it in use. Boy, it does seem like cheating though. Just kidding. I liked how you showed your math, too. Your math teacher would be proud.

Math? :P My wife just retired from teaching Math. 10th thru 12. after 42 years of teaching. She finds my Math on the CNC, boring as hell. LOL!

She does appreciate the XYZ coordinates though. :D

I keep telling here it's about the precision as well.

MK

• 2 weeks later...
Nice tight fit Mike.

SR

That's what I told her 34 years ago :D

Thanks Scott.

MK

BTW if me the DumbA$$ had not sanded the edges of the top of the insert it would look better. I found myself sanding the wrong side before inserting it. DOH! It was actually a very tight press fit with a mallet. :D