Build #6

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Finally finished this one. Had it professionally sprayed. I guess I can tell u guys that I work at Martin Guitar in the Product Engineering dept. Got tired of looking at acoustics all day, so me, an inlay artist and a finishing guy got together (outside of work) and built this beauty. Its in a local store now for $3,999. Am I charging too much? Should I put it on Ebay???

DSC_7219.jpg

:D

That is such a beautiful guitar. Workmanship like that is what made me want to start building guitars myself. I wouldn't say $3,999 is too much, but it really depends on your area and the store that you have it in. But if it plays and sounds as good as it looks, then I wouldn't say that your price is too high.

Awesome build!

hard to know with the price - its high, but not higher than a lot of other hand built stuff out there, and the fact there are 3 of you from martin works in your favour... but would they be happy with the three of you using your time with them (and therefore their name) to justify the high price?

without their name backing the sale i think you need to knock a grand off at least. if its essentially being sold as a high end custom electric handmade by martin 'artisans' then maybe the price is right

maybe martin should be looking at a small solidbody range. I know most acoustic makers tried it in the 70/80's and it didn't really work, but taylor and collings have had more luck with it recently

hard to know with the price - its high, but not higher than a lot of other hand built stuff out there, and the fact there are 3 of you from martin works in your favour... but would they be happy with the three of you using your time with them (and therefore their name) to justify the high price?

without their name backing the sale i think you need to knock a grand off at least. if its essentially being sold as a high end custom electric handmade by martin 'artisans' then maybe the price is right

maybe martin should be looking at a small solidbody range. I know most acoustic makers tried it in the 70/80's and it didn't really work, but taylor and collings have had more luck with it recently

Thanks for the advise guys. Just to clarify....we made this guitar at our houses, not at work. :-)

it really depends how the shop is selling it though rather than where it was actually built. If the shop are openly saying "made by martin employees", would your bosses mind? some companies would, although martin may be better since you are not in direct competition, i imagine they may have more to say if the 3 of you made some acoustics at home. if they were clever they could make use of it to demonstrate how their workers were actually craftsmen deeply interested in guitars, whether that was totally true or not

i say sell it to your bosses :D

it really depends how the shop is selling it though rather than where it was actually built. If the shop are openly saying "made by martin employees", would your bosses mind? some companies would, although martin may be better since you are not in direct competition, i imagine they may have more to say if the 3 of you made some acoustics at home. if they were clever they could make use of it to demonstrate how their workers were actually craftsmen deeply interested in guitars, whether that was totally true or not

i say sell it to your bosses :D

all the bosses are aware...i even brought it in so they could see it.

yes, making an acoustic would be a much different story.

thanks!

Wez brings up a good point..sell it to your bosses,as in..."hey,we should be making these,too.."

But I don't have any idea what that entails...

I think it would sell for $3000...$4000 feels like a stretch,because you don't have a name to put behind it...

Having said all that,I think it is superb,and if you had a name behind it you could easily get your $4000

I mean,just looking at it makes me want to pick it up and play it...it is extremely elegant...