Esp Phoenix - Osorio

Osorio

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A little update in the build!

DSC00810.jpg

I thought we talked about marking apparatus? Lose the sharpie you are going to cause yourself major headaches at some point with it.

Did you shape the neck with a chainsaw? I have never seen such gouges... the end results looks good though but it looked like a lot of work.

Nice work overall. \m/

At this point the neck wasn´t glued yet look the tenon, it not done in this picutre, so I had a chance to sand all blue marks, however this guitar will be completly paint with white.

No was not a chainsaw, it would be a little brutal! (LOL)

I use a rasp to shape the neck, when its done I use a 36 grain broken belt of my blackndecker dragster sander to remove the "chainsaw" marks and after that 80 and 120 sand papers.

Theres a lot of sand work to do in this guitar.

Tks!!!

At this point the neck wasn´t glued yet look the tenon, it not done in this picutre, so I had a chance to sand all blue marks, however this guitar will be completly paint with white.

No was not a chainsaw, it would be a little brutal! (LOL)

I use a rasp to shape the neck, when its done I use a 36 grain broken belt of my blackndecker dragster sander to remove the "chainsaw" marks and after that 80 and 120 sand papers.

Theres a lot of sand work to do in this guitar.

Tks!!!

I am just kidding :D kinda. I guess what I was getting at is "Don't make more work for yourself" Make less!

That is one scary rasp...

The rest looks good... no worries :D

One thing to consider at this stage is the proposed length of your neck tenon. It is a good example of what happened to the early Gibson SG's which were notorious for breaking easier that other guitars when pushed the wrong way. After all, the neck joined the body at the 21st fret! which they later moved to the 19th and increased the heel size. At least you have a little extra wood on the upper bout and heel but still consider that to be a weak area.

Its good to see the business end of the wood removal process now and then. Thats what rasps do if you've never seen it before, ugly but damn effective. :D

I´ll take a picture of these scary raps after and post here. :D

Think that have enought surface to be a good joint, of course if throw on the floor will broken like any other guitar.

This point of build its my favorite, the woods begins to get shape and the guitar reveals yourself.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I use rasps too for shaping..I have a really rough one that does exactly what you picture...I use it for bulk removal,then use a finer rasp to knock those ridges off,then I start with the 60 grit sandpaper.

It is not making more work,it is less work...only takes a few minutes to go from gouges to 120 smooth