Spalted Mango L-00 Sized Acoustic

I'm in progress of building an L-00 Sized acoustic. I've only sparsely photo documented what I've done so far. I'm going to start this thread with what I've got so far and start posting some more shots as I continue.

This is the back set raw after joining them

CIMG0060.jpg

Here the Sides are in the mold

CIMG0057.jpg

CIMG0058.jpg

Then a quick jump to after the back is braced and attached to the lined and trimmed side set.

CIMG0061.jpg

CIMG0062.jpg

CIMG0063.jpg

Here is the body closed up. The top is Adirondack Spruce with an Ebony Rosette and Rosewood binding with BWB purfling.

CIMG0186.jpg

CIMG0185.jpg

Here I am fitting the rough Honduras Mahogany neck blank to the body and getting it aligned.

CIMG0180.jpg

Here is the rough carved Neck

CIMG0184.jpg

CIMG0183.jpg

CIMG0182.jpg

And the head stock Ebony Veneer with my inlaid logo.

CIMG0181.jpg

Beautiful! Love that spalted maple!

Mango

Nice lookin' guit-box! How'd the spalt affect bending and stuff?

I see you are blessed with CNC as well :D Lucky!

Chris

Only CNC used on this one was on the headstock veneer and inlay... everything else is pretty old school... I've only used the CNC on Electric stuff... and I just finished building the CNC machine you see.. so I've not really even broken it in yet.

The spalted Mango is pretty soft like Spanish Cedar or a really light Mahogany... Bends like a dream. I bent this one on a pipe, I was scared to do in the bender because of the spalt... But it bent quite easily.

Edited by 3DogNate

This work it´s so wonderfull that deserve a better cam.

Okay I use a little sony digicam to take build progress pics and a Pro Nikon with two aux flashes to the final pics, but this build ask for!

Yeah no doubt. I have just been using the camera on my Palm Pre phone. It's passable as a cam barely. But it's always with me. I have a better camera but rarely use it for in progress pictures... I've actually been keeping my eye ouy for a good deal on a decent camera to keep in the shop at all times... But for now the phone cam will probably have to do until the finished beauty shots.

Thanks for the compliments though.

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice,clean professional work nate, I just recently started going through the acoustic section to get a better grip on how building an acoustic is achieved and i noticed you are in there quite a bit. Props to anyone who builds acoustics let alone really good ones, its just a whole other level!!! :D

Chad.