Zakk Wylde set

FajiiNako

Well i just happened to have a Zakk Wylde set (EMG 81/85), and i didn't really know where to post this... Well it was either solid body, or electronics.

So what do you think? Should i install these in my GRX20(alder), RG250DX (HSH Basswood)? Or should i try something different and put these in my new bass (swamp ash)? I think i'm gonna put em in the GRX20, but i'd just like to hear your thoughts.

I read up on tone woods a bit, and apparently Alder and Mahogany have similar tonal qualities. So if i put em in the GRX20, i'll have a closer emulation to Zakk's sound.

I would like to have more tonal range, so i can stop having to go over and switch channels on my POD.

the grx, and put a sheet metal pickguard too

That sounds like a neat Idea. I should experiment with pickguards as well. I've always wanted a mirror pickguard :D I'm probably gonna refinish the grx20 as well. Dang, there's so much i could do to this thing. I've already refretted it.

well the pickguard wouldn't be grounded itself unless it was touching the bridge i think... sooooooooo i think i'd still have to shield it. I donno. I'm still kind of a beginner here ^.^

But either way, i don't mind having a wire leading to the bridge.

...wait... this is going to be an active setup... i'm confused >.<

Well if i had that amount of money to spend on a guitar, i'd DEFINATELY have a white RR1T with black pinstripes and gold hardware!

Unfortunately i don't ever see spending any more than 1200 for a guitar. And that guitar would be custom built to myyyyyyyyyy specs. So yeah, i guess i'll have to build it myself B) oh the bother :D

the metal plate would shield it,but would be grounded through the contact ponys on the pot i believe...i don't use pickgaurds so i am not sure.but with emgs sheilding is not nearly as necessary as on passives.i don't have my v sheilded and i get absolutely no hum even at 100 db or better

omg i was just checkin him out. he is so awesome. install then in your GRX 20. as it is a little better on the resonance side than basswood. dont put em in a bass. such great pickups. dont waste em.

putting the set in a bass wouldnt be a waste at all. I was having a discussion with an EMG tech guy and he came to the conclusion that guitar EMG's sound fine in basses and vica versa. Apparently the active pups have such a flat response rate that they are not really "designed" for anything.

This all came about when I e-mailed asking about using a 6 string bass pickup for an 8 string guitar I am having built. EMG actually get asked this question so often (bass pickups in guitar etc...) that they acutally made some project guitars to test out what they would sound like - results were just as he expected - all sounded great :D

oh well that custom ax is going to have to wait until this summer. I have college right now lol. But i do want to atleast try them out. And my GRX sounds sooooooo horrible with powersounds in it >.< I know i can get a decent sound out of this guitar, because it sounds great unplugged!

But anyway, my custom ax will have an iommi in the bridge, a hotrails in the middle, and a SD jazz in the neck, or something like that. I'm definately putting an Iommi in there. and just for fun, some hardware will be gold, and some will be silver.

Well sound is a preference. If anything, i think the metal pickguard would add more weight to the tone wood, and probably cancle out vibration, thereby losing some of the natural wood tone. Either that or it'll act as an external magnet, and i'll be able to hear when my hand brushes across it lol.

Well i put em in the GRX20, and wow! i never thought i could get this guitar to sound that good! Holy crap, the distortion is amazingly smooth on the blended channel, and the 81 kicks all ass for lead through the POD! Unfortunately, my POD's having a fun time doing this thing where it likes to go "Well none of the knobs were touched, but i'll flash the 'edited' sign anyway, and turn up the echo all the way!" So that sucks >.o so in the middle of playing, it'll go from clean to "i'm in a parking garage" sounding, lol.

The 85 doesn't work by itself in the neck position on the switch, but that's okay. I can get that working later ^.^ I just have to solder all the joints again, and it should work out fine. I'm pretty sure i just kinda missed soldering pin 2 to pin 1.

But yeah, the clean tone sounds sooooooooooooooooooooooooo clear on both pickups! I can hear EVERY note o.O i've never experienced that in a guitar! Playing Kryptonite has never been more fun ^.^

And the pinch harmonics work best on one pickup at a time lol. i guess if i have em both on, it'll read both sides of the string, and creat a distorted pick/pinch harmonic sound. but that's okay!

I'm happy :D

ummmmm i payed 200 for them... >.<

Well i figured that since the EMG 81 and 85 cost around 130 dollars each, buying a set would cost a lil less, and come with pots, so that worked out B) I think it was worth it *shrugs* in some places i've seen it for 300, so i think i made out well :D