Piss Poor Swirls Attempts ;)

WezV

you all know i like to piss about on occasion - this is one of those times!

i decided i wanted to try swirling a guitar so did some research, watched some vids and got a general feel for the process

after a few test pieces i started to think i was ready to try a guitar. in hindsight - more practice may have been needed :D

so first i did a test guitar, its something i made a long time ago, butchered a few times and left in the corner

the results are a very piss poor swirl - but i cant decide if i actually like it or not. basically i had issues with thickness and amount of paint on this one and it glooped and ran, looking like a bloody mess with a bit of a swirl appearing near the top

sw3.jpg

sw4.jpg

sw5.jpg

anyway, after thinning the red a bit and using less of it i had another go on a copper leafed guitar. this time i still had the odd gloopy spot, but also really struggled to get the water droplets of the guitar so its a bit speckly in places, but much closer to the look i was after so i reckon this one could be good once its cleared and all buffed up. with the copper leaf changing colour in different light is looks pretty interesting

sw2.jpg

sw1.jpg

so yeah, not awesome results yet - but enough to make me try again at some point and it was fun doing it

• 3 weeks later...

Ah just back from holiday & I missed these Wez. Indeed piss poor, but then they look exactly like my first swirl.

swirl6.jpg

The thing I like about swirls is they are so random, some like, some I hate. I remember when they first came out & the only ones I had ever seen were Vai's main guitars that he got photographed with in the guitar mags back in late 80 early 90's. No internet back then & no way to see the hundreds of others Ibanez produced.

Fast forward 15 years & the internet is up and running & I discover Jemsite & find all these amazing swirl guitars. Most of the aftermarket ones at that time were done by Herc Fede who had really perfected the clean style & without realising I saw pics of the original ATD ones & thought a lot of them were horrible messy things, not to mention the Jap MKR Universes that had better swirl patterns (to me) but nasty non neon colours. Whats all this rambling about, don't know really but probably the best advice swirling is - do you like the look of it before you dip your guitar into it, pattern, colour, paint thickness etc

Keep at it, its great fun & incredibly messy, I remember trying to swirl a bike helmet - it looked like crap, but the swirling on the whole of my hand was amazing.