Body/neck Blank Weight

• 2 weeks later...

It depends largely on experience. If people make multiples of the same guitar, they get a feel for the weight of the blank.

It would depend on the size and thickness of YOUR blank, and have something to compare it to.

Fender cs weighs every blank and marks the weight on the blank. Easy comparison since they're all the same dimension. Most of us make many different shapes, and blanks have to be different sizes... so I go mostly on "feel".

When shopping for wood in a lumber supply, pick up several planks of similar size and compare weight- (obviously you cant do that buying stock from the net)

• 9 months later...

I don't get opportunity to compare too many blanks at once, however you can knock them to hear how they "sound". I was actually surprised by some Poplar once. Once.

/johnnydangerously

Weight doesn't mean much apart from the physical weight aspect or conversely the perceived "tangibility" I guess. A featherweight solid Les Paul is a somewhat suspicious beast. Sapele should be fairly light for what it is worth.

Would it be disingenuous of me to suggest picky and **** on that note, RAD? By that, I mean overly choosy of course. :D

Not sure what you mean... but I bet it was funny :D

I just meant that a simple search at tdpri will give you a ton of info on tele body/neck blank weight... I was not suggesting anything negative.

I was under the assumption that oblaty was looking for a large number of weights so he could compare them all.

I never weigh my blanks with a scale... I do it all by picking them up. Been at it so long I can tell if it is heavy or light.

Would it be disingenuous of me to suggest picky and **** on that note, RAD? By that, I mean overly choosy of course. :D

Not sure what you mean... but I bet it was funny B)

I just meant that a simple search at tdpri will give you a ton of info on tele body/neck blank weight... I was not suggesting anything negative.

I was under the assumption that oblaty was looking for a large number of weights so he could compare them all.

I never weigh my blanks with a scale... I do it all by picking them up. Been at it so long I can tell if it is heavy or light.

Did you make a joke about pickin a tele? :D

• 2 weeks later...

anyway, thank you guys.

I asked this because I´ve made a sapele body and it´s too heavy (with 3cm thickness it´s heavier that standard tele body).

I knocked on it and it sounds pretty bright... what do you suggest? Some "warmer" sounding top, I was considering chambering it swiss-cheese style. Or all rosewood neck to dampen the high frequencies? Or combination of any of these?

Edited by oblaty

2.5 kg is heavy for a body blank. Sapele's hardly known to be lightweight, though. The Lefty explorer currently waiting for a finish weighs in at just over 2.5 kg, and that's the entire body, neck, fingerboard without any of the metal bits or electronics.

What kind of sound are you after? Chambering with 'just' holes will mostly just reduce weight without doing too much to the sound. Most rosewood actually has relatively low damping, so while you'll get rich bass notes, you should also get a fair amount of sparkle in the trebles. Your best bet is to choose pickups that complement the design best, or choose different body wood. Work with the strengths of the materials you have rather than trying to force the wood to be something it isn't.