Semi-hollow Single Cutaway (tele Style) Sss Build

i have wood for a third build but cant decide what to do with it yet...

Yeah, I'm not even halfway done with my first and I'm already planning like three more :D I keep telling myself to wait until I finish one and can play it for a bit to see what I would do differently etc. But every time I go to the wood store I start daydreaming...

exactly. i havent really touched my first build since i finished it except a few times. i have no idea what to do with it! i dont want to sell it (wouldnt make much anyways) but i hate that its just gonna sit....

You cant ever sell your first build.

Edited by sdshirtman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, so ive been painting for the last week and a half or so. ive got it about as smooth as its gonna get. the top and back are smooth, the sides dont seem to want to get perfectly level, but it wont be all that noticeable i guess.

i did a few coats of sanding sealer, some primer, etc, and the grain is still there no matter what i do. so its not going to be plastic smooth, but thats alright, i like a little grain. i painted the headstock face, and it gave an awesome grainy look to it.

a few more coats of white then ill do clear. hopefully in the next 2 days ill be done with painting and can let it dry out

Woooah, I just looked at that last picture and it took me forever to realize that you were just holding the neck up to the body. :D I was thinking "Man, that neck is set waaayyyy to highup over the body! I wonder what he's doing!". But it's alright now, I'm not freaking out anymore. Don't worry :D

This is looking really good. I love reading about how you solve your problems; it gives me good ideas and inspiration. You keep pointing out all of the little things that go wrong, but I bet you anything that you're the ONLY person that can see those.

I like the screw-less selector. And I really have a thing for white guitars. My go-to guitar is a white '86 Kramer shredding guitar that I put a neck pickup in, and that is what got me into lutherie.

So I saw that you have no inlays, not even side dots B) You must be one of those people that never even looks at their fingers B)

So I saw that you have no inlays, not even side dots You must be one of those people that never even looks at their fingers B)

yep im just so amazing at guitar i dont need markers B)

or i dont trust my inlay skills. ill let you decide which :D

i actually just found some solid copper wire to use for side dots i think, so ill have to attack that soon...

and yeah my neck angle is intense isnt it? :D i have a super tall TOM bridge for it, i swear... lol

Edited by xadioriderx

got the tuning machines on today, except they didnt come with screws apparently, so ill have to do those later. oh well.

also put side dots on at 5th and 12th. the gold doesnt match, but im not worried about it, they came out pretty good! used some solid copper wire. i was too scared to do more dots. maybe later :haha:

i think having only 5th and 12th, and only on the side, will be a decent challenge for a while

IMG_4095.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4101.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

still need to figure out a truss cover. hopefully i can work a piece of bubinga down thin enough

pulled the binding tape off, cleaned it up.

i have to say, i will never bind before painting again. i dont know why people say to.

i think route, paint, a little clear, then bind, scrape down flush, then clear some more. next time...

put a little clear on today, but there was a spot on the front that got under the clear, so i stopped. will have to sand it out tomorrow, then continue =(

IMG_4106.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

IMG_4108.jpg

IMG_4109.jpg

alright im done clearing for now, gonna let it set a while before putting hardware on now.

so i hadnt really put a lot of thought into the pickups so far, ive had them laying around a while (MIM strat pups). i will eventually get something better when i get back later, but for now these are going in.

2 things i hadnt considered with them - first, the covers are aged, not white. so i had to wet sand down to white, didnt work perfectly, but theyre white enough for now.

second, the bridge pup has the triangle base :facepalm: had to do some work and make it a normal straight base. its all good now though.

anyways, got those issues resolved.

also did some lemon oil on my fretboard. ohhhh it looks much better now =)

I have a half started build of a Ibanez ST50 with a Bubinga body and neck. The body weight is 6kg so I think the total weight is going to be about 8 to 9kg. I dont care as I'm a sit on the sofa with headphones player. I dont stand up or play gigs. I dont play gigs because I'm a crap player :D

I plan to finish it with Danish oil. Also due to its weight I'm hoping it will sustain for days.

Great build by the way

Edited by iluvteles

alright well i made a little truss cover today. had a pencil blank size piece of bubinga left, had to cut this little wafer out with a huge hand saw. that took a while and a lot of care... then shaped it up with some sand paper and tung oiled it.

the cheapo Xacto knives i bought at harbor freight had a big magnet strip to hold the blades in the box, so i took a little piece of that, glued it down inside the truss hole, then used some foam that came with a p90 i bought a while back and mounted a little piece of broken cheap-as-heck-xacto knife blade to it, and glued it to the truss cover. then an extra piece so it wouldnt swivel. came out pretty dandy for how cheap it was =p

IMG_4112.jpg

apparently im a moron and didnt take a pic with it actually on. except the last pic which doesnt show it well. oh well lol

also did the shielding with aluminum tape.

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4115.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

quick shot with bridge and neck sitting on it

IMG_4117.jpg

alright, remember, im not going to buff and polish or anything until i get back, so its shiny, but not perfect.

had to glue a block in to mount the back plate to - i gave in and mounted it with screws. 2 of the pups were cream, i only sanded one down to white. eventually ill just replace them anyways. the cream matches the gold... right? haha

and lastly i forgot screws for the tuning machines, so theyll just be a bit floppy for now... lol. theyre snug, you have to pull to spin em. oh well.

all i have left is to fit the nut, and adjust intonation. tomorrrrrow!

IMG_4119.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_4121.jpg

IMG_4122.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg