Third Build - Black And White

14 minutes ago, avengers63 said:

I completely missed the discussion about slotting the nut. All the questions and issues brought up? Those are some of the reasons I use a zero fret and have the nut serve as a placement guide. 

There was a discussion in some thread not long ago. Can't remember which one it was but I believe it covered the zero fret too. Which I'm planning on utilising in my next build.

To me, a zero fret does several things, and all of them revolve around eliminating the nut.

Potential problems eliminated: wrong nut height, cutting the nut wrong, That whole discussion y'all had on the last page? Irrelevant. It takes a significant point of failure out of the equation.

Work eliminated: cutting the nut. For those who do it, you know the meticulous labor that isn't done, as well as the money savings of not buying the files, rulers, blanks, etc.

Tonal benefit: open strings sound the exact same as a fretted note. This also takes every letter of voodoo debate over which nut material to use and throws it out the window, Even WITH a functional nut, I think the debate is overblown as once the string is fretted, the nut becomes moot.

1 hour ago, avengers63 said:

That whole discussion y'all had on the last page? Irrelevant

I hear you and I have bought the ideas behind zero nut. Discussion on last page was not irrelevant though, because it was about an existing neck that has a nut and no zero fret. Which brings this to the discussion:

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/fretwire/sintoms/sintoms-zero-fret-ns-without-tang-arc/

Does anyone have any experience with this type of zero fret that is meant to be installed into an existing guitar? I feel a bit suspicious about the concept because the contact point moves a bit towards the bridge. The fret is asymmetrical so there is "only" a 0.02" shift. So technically the first fret is 0,5mm off, even if overall intonation can be adjusted from the bridge.

I must point out that unless the situation has changed, Sintoms wire is made in Belarus. This is not to say that the company is pro-RU however anything bought from them feeds the state on some level.

Never used that type of zero fret. It seems more like a retrofit than a part for a scratch-built neck.

25 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Belarus

25 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

retrofit

Yes and yes. Just an example, not suggesting anyone should buy. My question was if the idea of retrofitting a zero fret is a viable option. Someone likely thought it is when they started to manufacture a special profile fret wire.

10 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

to be as solidly seated as the rest of the frets

Thanks. And I’m not thinking about installing one to this guitar. Or any other for that matter. I just stumbled upon that product while searching info about zero frets. Thing is, I was thinking about grinding barbs off of the zero fret. That way it would be less destructive process to change the fret in case I want to or have to. I have heard the Brian May stories so maybe I don’t ever have to. But I may want to. I guess I try barbless and if that doesn’t work I change to a normal fret.

But that all is not about this guitar. And I guess can finally let this thread be. The guitar plays fine and if I ever do any drastic changes I may as well start a new thread. 

Grinding off the barbs is a good idea. The zero fret will always be under string tension, and it can always be seated with a little wood glue. Enough that heat will allow it to be removed when needs be. Using a SS fret for the zero is a good idea also. I use a larger size than the rest of the frets and bring it down after levelling.

• Like 1