Third Build - Black And White

Hello,

Did not have any time during the summer holiday to make any progress on guitar builds.

Anyhow here's a few pics where things where left in the beginning of july...

Shares the same shape with the number 2

- Swamp ash body.

- Bolt on maple neck with scarf jointed headstock.

- Ebony fingerboard, 23 frets, 24,750 scale, 12" radius. Jumbo frets.

- Two passive EMG humbuckers, back mounted.

- Tuners 3/3. (Schertler).

- Schaller 455 Bridge/tail piece.

- Large custom knobs, Volume, tone and rotary pickup selecor.

Back

30.jpg

Front

35.jpg

Bolt on neck.

29.jpg

More pics of the number three at Photobucket

Edited by henrim

• 2 months later...

You ever get this one finished? Love the control layout. Will they pop up or will you have to spin them around with a finger tip?

There has been so much other stuff to do so this is not yet finished. Going back to the shop in one of these days...

Visually I'd like the controls to be flush with the body. But i guess they would need to be somewhat usable... So they will either pop up a little or they will have some kind of groove or recess on them.

• 1 month later...

An update here too. Not sure anymore which is the second and which is the third build but anyways here we go:

An aluminium frame for the pots.

IMG_0755.jpg

The frame inside the body

IMG_0757.jpg

From the top.

IMG_0759.jpg

Marking the "inner edges" of the pot holes with a surface gauge. The idea is to recess the holes from the inner side to have them level with the edge. This is needed for the knobs to be "in line" with the curved body.

IMG_0760.jpg

Gluing together some birch to make the knobs.

IMG_0762.jpg

I've only done one fret job and that was quite painful job. Bended the frets by hand and hammered in. The end result was not too good either. When I started my current builds I built a fret bending machine, so now I can at least bend the frets easily and accurately.

Hammering properly bent frets should not be problem, but I've researched for alternative ways for fretting and there seems to be quite many tools for that. Both commercial and DIY projects.

I have an angle grinder stand I thought I could use for the purpose. I cut a slice of my fingerboard sanding block and sawed a fret slot on it, bent a piece of stainless fret wire the "wrong way" and installed it on the piece. Bolted the result to the stand.

Contact area here is of course minimal so the neck has to be perfectly in line with the press. Im going to make a radiused piece and slot it, so we'll see how the thing behaves. If it doesn't it's not a big deal as it took less than an hour to make it.

02a407a6.jpg

75fae544.jpg

Hmmmm, it seems that some posts are missing from this thread, thanks to yesterdays crash...

Anyway, I LOVE this guitar already! Thumbs up! :D

Thk you for the kind words!

It does serm that quite a few posts are gone indeed. Could I have chosen it would have been the miserable fret press tryout post that should have gone. Never mind it has been gone in the real world and I'm hammering the frets.

This photo also makes it look like you are not bevelling the fret slots prior to fretting. Is this the case?

Nope, that is not the case, anymore. Thanks for your tip (that has now disappeared after the db issues).

I've installed six or so frets and it seems to go nice and smooth. I'll try to find some time to continue with fretting soon.

Thanks Juntunen (you have roots in Finland?).

Here is my excuse to go slow with my builds once again... That is me and the Wonder Boy (he was born Friday the 13th @ 06:09 AM).

The midwife was not familiar with the concept of manual focus camera. Can't blame her and I love the pic anyways :D

baby2-1-5.jpg

Thanks Juntunen (you have roots in Finland?).

A lot of my family is from Finland, I'm only the third generation in America and a lot of family is still there. You had me confused for a second on who you were too, I have a cousin on here who's name is HenryM haha I had to double check to be sure I wasn't seeing things.

And congrats, that's definatelly an excuse to not build for a while.

Thanks everyone. The kid is now at home! I try sneak to the workshop every now and then...

Carl, the Veritas block plane is propably the single most used tool in my shop.

Last summer I was fixing garage doors and had the plane outside with me. Went for three days to Tuska - festival, and when I came back I found the plane sitting outside :D Needless to say the cast iron body had beautiful new color. Took some time to clean all the rust away.

Yipes. That'll teach you! Do you wipe her ("hän" just doesn't cut it, right?) down with Camellia oil? I did this to all of my remaining tools before they went into storage. I pulled out my 5-1/2 to do a bit of planing and neither the body or parts had gained any unwanted "colouration". Sweet stuff. That plane is top of my list of planes as a go-to also, hence why I am either buying or building one.

We went to Tuska 2011 in a Transit van with one of the steel rims welded to the hub. Hilarious times.

Juntunen, not too long ago I was a bit confused too. I was reading a thread here and saw that I had replied to it. First thought was I cannot remember when I did that and after reading the reply I was happy that I had said such nice words. Only then I realized it was not me but "HenryM"...

Yipes. That'll teach you! Do you wipe her ("hän" just doesn't cut it, right?) down with Camellia oil? I did this to all of my remaining tools before they went into storage. I pulled out my 5-1/2 to do a bit of planing and neither the body or parts had gained any unwanted "colouration". Sweet stuff. That plane is top of my list of planes as a go-to also, hence why I am either buying or building one.

Carl, I dont wipe my planes with oil (except some of the wooden ones). The cast iron plane bodies are good as long as they don't go outside the shop.

And my planes they are supposed to stay in the shop and not to go out to do any nasty jobs. Sometimes they just do...

"Hän" would not cut in this context as personal pronouns are only used for, eh, persons in Finnish language (would be understandable though...). The easy part of the language is the same pronoun is used for Female and Male!

That is why it is hard to remember how you use she/he for objects in English. If I was talking about a plane (an aircraft) I would have known I was supposed to say "she" To make it easier for my self I Should should just call that block plane "My darling" :D

We went to Tuska 2011 in a Transit van with one of the steel rims welded to the hub. Hilarious times.

Way to go (No matter the destination)!