Prs Lefty

Did you really use the satin on that shiny SOB?

Does that urethane leave any witness lines?

SR

OOPS ! sorry, my screw up. :D

Na. satin was used on the back of the neck only. The body & headstock was the gloss version of this stuff. Although I did have to flat the satin with some 000 wire wool. as it did come up a little less satin than I wanted.

I havent used it enough to know anything about witness lines yet. Id say if you got your flash times wrong you would get a few. This was done over a few days. 3 coats in a day, wait untill there was no smell, cut it & spray 3 more. 12 coats in all, flatted every third coat.

It was kinda inconsistant in its drying times. But the weather here has been nuts for the past while so humidity & temperature were definithly a factor id say. sometimes it took 2 days to be ready for the next coats, sometimes 4 or 5.

I have been leaving some guitars hanging in the booth as opposed to the drying room latley as an experiment. Some just hanging in the booth, some under UV lights for a few hours at a time (in the booth) & others in the drying room.

Im thinking Ill stick to the dry room. Its more consistant & I seem to be able to controle the curing process better in there. The UV is a pain aswell. I have to be conscious of the timbers I am using. Sometimes it changes colour with the light :D

Im still realy a brainless wonder with finishes. some of the others on here may have more experiance with eurethane.

• 3 weeks later...

I was screwing around with this one before it left. trying to figure out how to use the new camera. These are not the best as I havent gotten the hang of the light settings yet. but they will have to do as the gitir is long gone at this point :D

Anyway. The front.

DSCF2779copy.jpgDSCF2929copy.jpg

same kinda shot - but different settings to try get the candy finish to work. didnt get it right but they still look OK

DSCF2892copy.jpgDSCF2891copy.jpg

That must be that radioactive diamond gloss polish you were talking about. That is blinding! How long did you have to buff that baby out?

And what did you do to the sapele? It almost looks like tortoise shell.

SR

Yea. Radioactive ultra gloss from Behlen. Nice shiney stuff after you polish it up. I usualy get it to 4000 grit then hit the buffing wheel & compound for about a half hour a face. so about 1.5 hours of final polishing to get this.

The tortoise look is easy. Stain the timber black & cut it back until only the pores are coloured. then seal the timber.

Spay a coat of black tinted clear that has been thinned out. immediatly dab it with a bunched up piece of cotton. I use a sheet as it gets the whole guitar in a single dab. dont move the cotton about. Just mash it down once & remove it.

Wait a few days & lightly cut the finish with some 800 grit & apply 8-12 coats of clear. Then buff like a demon. you get Tortoise shell timber :D

The guitar turned out great, like Blackdog mentioned, the volute is doesn't fit into this guitar, it looks like a bump in the neck. Finish is very good, and that Behlen finish looks glossier than the regular one they use to sell. I'm using 2k paints now, but I may give it a try later on to see how it sprays.

Well its up for GOTM this month. Have not put anything up there for a while, Time for another ass kikin I rekon :D

Good luck with that Amigo.

I've got a couple of friends that are going to be in Dublin this weekend. I told them to drink an Irish beer for me and to raise a toast to Paulie at Aolean Guitars When they get to the pub. Keep your ears open, they tend to get loud. :D

SR

Well its up for GOTM this month. Have not put anything up there for a while, Time for another ass kikin I rekon :D

Good luck with that Amigo.

I've got a couple of friends that are going to be in Dublin this weekend. I told them to drink an Irish beer for me and to raise a toast to Paulie at Aolean Guitars When they get to the pub. Keep your ears open, they tend to get loud. B)

SR

They will need to get seriously loud to stand out in a dublin pub on a weekend :D 20,000 raging lunatics lettin rip at the game of drink.

Looks nice Paulie. Looks very nice!

Having a hard time getting excited about the middle pickup and being a lefty, but overall it's a beauty.

I also like the headstock timber contrast!

Being a lefty is an easy fix. Just mirror the image :D

As to the rest. I have to let the customer have their own way on number of pups & bridge styles & so on. But i was happy enough with the finished gitir. even though I didnt realy play it (thats the problem with leftys)