Flame Top Tele Style / H-h W/ Trem

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I clear coated the neck yesterday, I'm using a 2K clear coat...

So it was ready to handle a few hours after spraying.

IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

I started pore filling the Mahogany body back last night. I'll do another session of that tonight. I'm still waiting of the bridge to show up... It's supposed to arrive Wed. The Hipshot Trem I originally ordred was on backorder so I switched to a Wilkinson VG-300 which should a little nicer bridge even...I would have went to the tried and true VG-100 but I wanted shiny gold instead of satin gold to match the rest of the hardware. I'll finally be able to drill the post holes for the bridge and get onto finishing the body.

I'll probably wet sand and buff the neck tonight and set it aside until final fret work and assembly.

Since I used epoxy to pore fill... the last step of that is to take a bit of epoxy thinned with denatured alcohol and give the whole thing (minus the top) a wipe down... this does seal the binding edges. But I was pretty careful and didn't really get any on the binding anyway.

Did the clearcoat on the body this weekend..

This is after the first coat.

IMAG0176.jpg

Did another couple of coats on the neck too just to satisfy my need to be nit-picky.

IMAG0177.jpg

I'll block sand the the body down tonight and hopefully it'll not need more clear and I can go straight to the buffer. I wish I had a proper paint booth for spraying these 2 pack auto finishes. But alas... I have to deal with a bit of fuzzies and gnats. I do have a paint booth in the basement for doing waterborne finishes, I get good results out of that but I wanted this one to have tough as nails paint job.

I got a bit of the hardware installed last night in addition to the buffing of the finish. Pickups should arrive first part of next week. I'll get it wired up then. I'll mount the neck and fit it with a nut this weekend. I should be able to square it away by next weekend perhaps.

IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

The pickups arrived today, Dimarzio Air Classics DP190/DP191, I got the wiring all sorted out. The guy that this is being built for requested that I set it up for Flatwound 11's, those should be here tomorrow... I'll then get it setup and tweaked over the next few days. I'm hoping that everything gets sorted by the weekend so that can get it delivered. I'll have to break out the good camera and get some good beauty shots.

IMAG0192.jpg

It's getting close now, I've got a rough setup on it. I'll get in there with the measurement instruments over the next day or two and dial it in... first impression is very good. The flatwounds are throwing me a little bit tonally and that wound G string is weird... I'm really not used to that. And I'm still waiting on some gold screws from All-Parts to show up...

P1010540.jpg

P1010546.jpg

P1010547.jpg