I'm New To Spraying Systems And Ready To Buy.

Blackdog

I have tried the searchfunction, but could not find anything conclusive.

I've tried the internet and I kind of get the impression that HVLP is mostly intended for large areas, but it's not completely clear to me...

I will be spraying nitro and want to be able to do traditional sunbursts and the such. The primary, if not only use will be guitar finishing.

I don't currently own ANY spraying equipment.

Should I buy a good 4-stage HVLP system, or would it be better to stay with a traditional compressor and a good quality detail gun ?

What would you, the more experienced guys, do if you were buying from scratch now ?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Luis

HVLP all the way. Take a look at the Finex 1000, it is a mini-HVLP gun. Runs off standard compressed air but uses less CFM's being a mini gun, so you can get away with a smaller compressor (my 30 gallon keeps up fine). DeVilbis also makes soem nice mini HVLP guns. HVLP lays down more material faster so less coats are required and it also has a lot less overspray so you use less paint. Because uses low pressure air it is easier to prevent orange peal as well. For guitars there is no need for a large full size gun, the mini-guns work perfect.

I have the Finex 1000 with a 0.8mm tip for most of my coats. I am going to pick up a 0.6mm for detail work. I have a separate gun for primer, but if I was going to keep one gun I would need to get a larger tip for primer. Mini guns generally use at least 1 size smaller tip than the tech sheet says. So if you clear recomends a 1.0mm tip, use a 0.8 for a mini gun.

I like my old devilbliss detail gun (40yrs ago when I bought it new) Yes I love overspray and the high it gives ya when spraying lacquer. :D Oh that means my respirator is not working very well? What resipirator?

By and large I still spray using older style guns. That's what I learned on. I would suggest an HVLP that is of some quality if you can afford it. Also make sure that you have different tips for fine work or use a quality airbrush. I use a high end Iwata airbrush. Just my thoughts.

MK

Iwata is where it's at! That's what I'm runnin' too! Get a nice iwata airbrush (I like the larger glass bottle hanging style than the tiny cup on top models). If you wanna skimp, do it in the compressor. You can get a no-name version of the compressor Iwata makes for cheap and it'll do the job just fine.

Chris

Thanks for the replies,

It's quite interesting, I got one of each !

- HVLP conversion gun running off a normal compressor

- Full HVLP turbine system (plus airbrush for detail)

- Full conventional system (plus airbrush for detail)

It's starting to look like any of the systems will actually get the job properly done. It maybe just a matter of preference at this point ?

• 3 weeks later...

Unless you've suddenly got much larger shop space, do yourself the favour and get something like the Fuji HVLP system. If I had to do it again, much as I like my SATA MiniJet conversion HVLP gun (great quality gun, runs off standard compressor), I'd get the Fuji system in a heartbeat. Why? Less futzing with in-line air or moisture traps needed, it's quieter, and takes up much less space than a full sized compressor - and you need a lot of air volume for HVLP conversion guns!

Airbrush has it's place, and I've seen really nice effects in terms of bursts and the like (Fred's demos at the Dutch building days mostly), and again, nice small pancake compressor and a brush instead of a heavy, loud full-sized compressor. I've got the latter already, so I'm not all too interested in spending cash to replace something that does the job well, just loudly and taking up space.

Unless you've suddenly got much larger shop space, do yourself the favour and get something like the Fuji HVLP system. If I had to do it again, much as I like my SATA MiniJet conversion HVLP gun (great quality gun, runs off standard compressor), I'd get the Fuji system in a heartbeat. Why? Less futzing with in-line air or moisture traps needed, it's quieter, and takes up much less space than a full sized compressor - and you need a lot of air volume for HVLP conversion guns!

Airbrush has it's place, and I've seen really nice effects in terms of bursts and the like (Fred's demos at the Dutch building days mostly), and again, nice small pancake compressor and a brush instead of a heavy, loud full-sized compressor. I've got the latter already, so I'm not all too interested in spending cash to replace something that does the job well, just loudly and taking up space.

Hello Mattia,

Long time...

Thanks for chiming in.

I'm afraid that you got your vote in just a few hours late...

I pretty much came to the conclusion that all the systems will eventually get the job done properly, and decided to go for what seems to be the most proven solution: I will go the HVLP conversion route. Just bought a DeVilbiss SRi Pro Spotrepair gun and I will be buying a small-ish compressor in a week or two. I have a friend hot-rodding cars, using this same setup and he will likely help me with the setup and training curve.

Regarding shop space, I have a garage now. Not enormous, but so much bigger than the old attic !!

Hope things are well with you. I still need to contact you again for resawing that mahogany billet I told you about months ago...

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

The hvlp systems are designed to cover a large area with as much material as will flow thru the gun at low pressure . I think you're on the mark to go with a quality traditional system . I like the flow and the feel of My old school Binks #7. There are alot of different makes of good quality professional spry guns and For a job the size of a guitar body A good high pressure gun will allow you spray thinner better atomized , more consistant coats over a small area.Unless you plan on painting a bus I would go that route. :D