Routing A Neck Pocket

I have mentioned here on another post about never completing a bolt on.

I have a neck lying around here that I am going to make a body for. I am going to use this for some practice before using one of my necks.

Several years ago there was a tutorial online (probably here) about laying the neck on body and gently clamping it in the correct position. The guy doing this tutorial clamped 1x2 hardwood that was held flush on the 3 sides of the heel. the neck was carefully removed and then the body was routed. This made a perfect pocket, and I really liked the technique. I think this was an awesome idea especially since ALL handmade heels will be a little different from each other.

Can someone tell me where this was at? I have searched the forum as well as googled it without success.

I would love to hear any techniques you all use to acomplish the same goal.

Thanks.

I make mostly neckthru - but when I have done bolt ons I use a plexi glass template I made.

I suggest you get some perspex/plexiglass and simply make your own template to the exact shape you want. Then you can use it over and over.

I use the technique accomplished with Myka's jig but without having the jig, basically the one you are describing. I don't remember where the thread is though. Here is my technique though.

Clamp the neck in place. Make sure you have the center line straight down the length of the neck.

Once the neck is in place, place a board along each side of the neck and extending the length of the body. I prefer to use the factory cut ends from a piece of MDF because I know it is straight.

Clamp the board in place. Watch your clamp placement so you have room for your router.

Clamp or double face tape a piece of wood between the stringer boards along the heal of the neck.

Unclamp the neck. You know have a perfect template to the exact size of your neck.

I use the technique accomplished with Myka's jig but without having the jig, basically the one you are describing. I don't remember where the thread is though. Here is my technique though.

Clamp the neck in place. Make sure you have the center line straight down the length of the neck.

Once the neck is in place, place a board along each side of the neck and extending the length of the body. I prefer to use the factory cut ends from a piece of MDF because I know it is straight.

Clamp the board in place. Watch your clamp placement so you have room for your router.

Clamp or double face tape a piece of wood between the stringer boards along the heal of the neck.

Unclamp the neck. You know have a perfect template to the exact size of your neck.

This is the exact technique I was talking about!! Do you happen to have any pics?

• 2 weeks later...