The Doors. "mark L" Edition.

A friend of mine was recently remodeling her house after inheriting it. She found 3 doors in the attic which were original to the house ( 1876 ) , but she was going to THROW THEM AWAY !!!!!!

So I took em off of her hands wth the intent to re-purpose them into something. Well, I think it'll be guitars n basses !! :D The bottom panels of the doors had thin cutaways that I was able to rescue and I'll be making 'chambered' electrics out of them, possibly a cool slide guitar. The glass panes will be made into picture frames, two of which will be returned to the wood donor for hanging in the house that the doors came from.

The *perfectly* quatersawn 1.5" thick pieces ( three of them ) will be neck blanks. The wood has been seasoning for 135 years, so I don't expect too much settling.

Pics later, possibly some progress , depends on the weather today.

why they're DOOR wood, of course ! :D

I honestly couldn't tell just from cutting it ( ie; the smell or color ) I suspect some of it is pine. I'm sure, given the year , that it's all local timber, either Oak, Hickory, Pine,or Cherry but it could be Birch, Maple, Walnut, etc. too . :D

I'll strip the finish on the pieces I'll be using and really dig into it better than what I have so far, which was slice n stack. The grain on some of the pieces is tight tight and I'm stoked to get one of the boxy- ones going. I'm feelin a real boxcar-hobo vibe comin on for those.

I scored a killer lookin Ash mirror frame from the same attic thats gettin the re-birth treatment too.

I have a 100+ old home and I recently had to cut into one of the original doors do i could install a cat door. turned out, mine was mahogany. it's hard to tell just looking at the end grain but you could have the same thing. Mahogany was very popular back then....

On a side note, I got a chance to walk around the acclimating room at Martin Guitar on my break the other day. They have a stack of mahogany that stands 15 feet high. It came from a Tibetan Monastery that was recently torn down. The wood was in the monastery for over a hundred years before Martin bought it. Guess it's been sitting at Martin for over 6 years now. Chris Martin won't authorize it for use yet. I was told that they wont use it on any guitars that cost less than 50K.

I would seriously consider replacing that door with a modern one. 100+ year old mahogany aint easy or cheap to find. Just sayin...... :D

My doors are paneled, Wouldnt do much for me except for the framing. We've worked hard to keep the house authentic, so the doors get to stay doors. All of the joists and trusses in my house are mahogany as well. All 4-inches thick and about 8 inches wide.... don't think I havent pondered ripping out a few joists LOL

its a spruce - but it does look bloody nice. i wouldnt use it for necks though, but maybe join pieces together for acousticy tops or spruce bodies. looks tight and straight grained enough that it should be quite strong

My cousin found some mahogany in a skip the other day - 1 single plank that is about 15'x10"x1.5". straight grained, unwarped. and about 5 degrees off quartered. should keep me in neck blanks for a while

Awesome find! I'm guessing a 'skip' is a construction dumpster? :D

Regardless, thats a sweet score!

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you use the wood for necks? - I'm certainly going to ( 1 at least :D )

You didn't list a reason for not, so I'm curious.

Headed out to do some paint removal now- I'll have better pics of the wood later.

A skip is a skip - not my fault you guys don't speak English :D

i wouldnt use this wood for necks because a softwood neck has never seemed like a good idea to me... but i know melvyn hiscock has suggested douglas fir might be good, and i know you will probably try it anyway.

anyway, if you are going to try a softwood neck it looks like you have good stock and it might just work. but for me this wood needs to be multipiece bodies or archtop tops, its screaming acoustic qualities from the pics - just wonder if the actual tone will live up to it

screaming acoustic qualities, indeed !! Oh my. I took some of the finish off of the pink-ish boards today and woo-hoo ! The ring is incredible on those. Here's some moar pics of the boards -

IMG_0793.jpg

That's the ( possible) neck wood

and this is a view of the grain on the flat-sawn side

IMG_0794.jpg

This is two of the body boards that are ringy-singy

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

... and here you can see the color difference between the boards

IMG_0799.jpg

There were 3 doors - two of which were panels ( they'll be boxy - slide guitars ) and one was a 12 window french door.

Some of the wood is decidedly yellow and soft so I'm going with pine on those boards. Some of it is orangey- brown and some is pinkish. I'm certain there is no one type of wood in the pile at this point, so I'm going with "body" or "neck" judging each board on its own.

Pics as they happen....

:D