Wiring diagram Ibanez JEM

mlj

Hi there,

Well, almost finished my abalone swirled JEM now, :D

Only one problem. I can't get the set up for the pick-ups right.

Problem is: :D

* The volume doesn't go all the way down.

* In position 2, 3 and 4 I all hear the same pick-ups (the middle (Dimarzio HS2) and one coil of the humbucker(Dimarzio Evolution DP159F bridge))

I don't understand, I tried different things with the 5-way switch(Original Ibanez VLX91), but everytime I end up with the same result.

I used the original wiring diagram from the Ibanez JEM 7VWH (JEMsite), but instead of a jem single coil I used a Dimarzio HS2 in single coil mode and as an addition I used a 500K tone pot with a DPDT push-pull switch (When it is pulled the bridge humbucker is always on)

Can You guy help me. B)

Thanks,

Johan

DONT BE A PIC TEASE POST PICS!!! you cannot just use any regular type of pot for a 3 pot guitar. you need a bi concentric or something like that. One that acts as 2 pots. methinks that could be the problem but i'm sort of a newb too. brian has them at his site. but someone will give you a definitive answer in a few moments for now my suggestion is check out www.universaljems.com they have the dual pots or whatever. in the mean time POST PICS!

Hey, Johan, can you send us a diagram of what you've done so far as wiring goes? It's really hard to diagnose wiring problems without knowing exactly what's hooked up to what - here's the link to Ibanez's wiring diagrams:

Ibanez :. Wiring Diagrams

Doesn't look too scary, but there's always room for error. I screwed up a Tele replacement last week, and it took an hour to get it straightened out (durn aftermarket switches!) :D . My advice would be to disconnect your DPDT switch until everything else works the way you want it to.

Here's the JEM7V link:

JEM 7V.

Hope that helps some - post a diagram if you can. You've got everything you need, you just gotta get it in order.

Hi there,

Yeah, This is the wiring diagram I used for my JEM (exactly the same), only I took the red from the bridge humbucker and conected it to the DPDT and through to the 5-way switch. I did the same with the black and white. The wires are conected to the 5-way switch the same way as as they were before I installed the DPDT. And of course I made a ground with the volume pot

t_wd_7bp.gif

Only with the original VLX91 5-way switch as conected in the same way as the Jem7vwh.

This guitar will do fine with 2 pots...first work on the regular 5-way set up...then try the bridge on. IF you try to do two at a time you won't get it. I have a guitar setup this way, but all Duncan CLassic stacks, and then I have the bridge come on at any position. I will take it apart tomorrow and see what the wiring is. In the meantime work with getting just the H/h-s/s/s-h/H working and then we can tackle the bridge on part.

Thanks!

But is this also the cause, that the volume pot doesn't work properly? :D

Because everything works, including the push-pull tone pot.

The volume also works but not the way it should be. When I turn the volume to 10 it's OK, but when I turn the volume Down to 1, it still sounds like it's turned up half.

Could this mean the volume pot is broken, because I ordered it new from Rich at Ibanez Rules?

Thanks!

No reason why that setup won't work - first thing I'd check is the ground point on the volume pot. You may even want to star ground it - see the GuitarNuts.com site for info. If the volume pot doesn't cut the signal completely, it's because it's not going all the way to ground potential. Check the pot, but it's unlikely that it's defective - chances are there's either a wire misplaced or a short somewhere. Brian just posted a new tutorial on pots on the site, that shows how to test 'em:

Checking DC resistance on your potentiometers

You'll have to disconnect all the wires form the pots to test - at this point, I'd probably also check for solder bridges and crossed bare wires, too. Hope that helps, sorry for being so long-winded.