Tremolo Strings

I just finished assembling a solid body guitar for my son. He designed the body, I made it from Poplar and we used a bolt on neck from a basket case Washburn Mavrick series. (I know, Poplar was not the best wood but this is my first ever instrument build, it was available, it's a painted project and the guitar will most likely spend eternity simply hanging on a bedroom wall). My son also wanted to incorporate a tremolo so I found a version of a Floyd Rose style tremolo.

I need to re-string the guitar and adjust the tremolo...what gauge strings should I look into? I put a Bigsby on a hollow-body not to long ago and was advised to get heavy (.013-.056) strings. Do I need to go that heavy on a Floyd Rose equipped guitar?

BTW, this is the initial CAD drawing of my son's vision. Once I get it tuned and prettied up, I'll post a few pics.

spydercad.jpg

Here's the body after paint, but with no cler coat. We were experimenting with vinyl pinstrip tape...

100_7985.jpg

Edited by toneblind

I personally prefer 10's on my guitars no matter what bridge, but it is personal preference. The thicker the gauge the higher the tension will be to acheive the same pitch, meaning bending notes will take more strength and will hurt finger tips more until he builds up caluses. 9's are great to start out on and he can move up from there is he likes. But plenty of guys stick with 9's after years of playing anyway.

I personally prefer 10's on my guitars no matter what bridge, but it is personal preference. The thicker the gauge the higher the tension will be to acheive the same pitch, meaning bending notes will take more strength and will hurt finger tips more until he builds up caluses. 9's are great to start out on and he can move up from there is he likes. But plenty of guys stick with 9's after years of playing anyway.

I'm the same way with 11's. It's the perfect amount of tension for me, and anything else messes me up.

I'm the same way with 11's. It's the perfect amount of tension for me, and anything else messes me up.

Thanks for the input. I'll be starting him off on a set of 10's.