Doing Flat Black Finish

Hi all. This is my first post...i have read many good things about this website and figured id join. I have an LTD Kirk hammet basswood guitar and am in the process of prepping. All i need to do is use naphtha and then apply primer, flat black, and flat clear. What brands of these products will yield very good results (considering i have sanded w 800 grit). It's gonna be flat black when I'm done. I'm thinking Duplicolor, Rustoleum protective lacquer or Krylon Dual (primer and paint). I appreciate any help i can get. Thanks!

I personally would probably recommend a gloss black with a flat or satin clear, as you won't notice the gloss from the black, but the black color will look deeper. Duplicolor gets rave reviews, I've never personally used it.

Thank you. That's interesting. I'll do a trial test on your recommendations and see how it compares to the test I did with flat black paint already.

By the way, I am assuming I should use Duplicolor products for each step of the finishing. Some people use different brands in the process for their percieved superiority over the others. Also, do I need a primer sealer?

Edited by klopper

The way I spray satin or flat is the same way I spray every other color, except I add a gloss inhibitor into the clear. The amount of matting agent/gloss inhibitor you add effects whether its only satin or if you really take the gloss out of it to make it matt.

When you spray 2k paints, they are all rather flat as base coat only and the gloss doesnt happen until you shoot the clear.

20012010317small.jpg

Have a look at this door I sprayed on an old chevy. You can see where the satin and gloss black meet. It is the exact same black and exact same clear, its just that I sprayed the satin part with the matting agent mixed in.

Onthis car when the door panel is on, then you only see the satin black and the gloss red and the fade out underneath like they did back in the 60's/70's at the chevy plant, only I've done this with 2k instead of enamal like they did back then.

Random post - I've not tried it on a guitar, but now I've got a spray gun I thought I'd have a go refurbing my dinged up summer wheels last week as they were off the car. Just 2k Matt black, no clear, got half a tin left so might try on a body, The paint went on a lot smoother than the clearcoats I've done so far with the gun.

IMG_20120112_102628.jpg

Andyt - was that a 2k one shot that doesn't require clear?

I'd suggest spraying some on a test panel and then cutting it to see what it looks like. Just say a guitar for example, you want the neck etc to be perfect smooth, so you're not going to want it left off the gun.

I've only used k one shots a couple times, never been happy with the finish but they have their purpose, like your wheels for a perfect example. They look good too!