Project S907_express

So if you look at the shiny spots. That is where I have taken a file and trued up the neck profile running lengthwise like you would when truing a fretboard. Where ever there are scratches these are low spots. It is as important for the neck to be straight and consistent on the back as it is the fretboard.

P7100041.jpg

P7100042.jpg

Making sure the profile is straight.

P7100044.jpg

Finishing up.

Excellent documentation of neck and body carves. Were those sweat drops on your guitar?

What is the thought process behind waiting till after neck join to dress the frets?

SR

So yes.. .sweat on the neck. It is 105+ in my shop during the day now.

I always have dressed the frets last. In the old days I would string the guitar up and play them for a few days before dissembling them, dressing the frets, and starting the finish process. This gave the neck a few days to settle before a final dress on the frets. I used to think it gave a better fret job.

Now a days for the S9 I trust my necks and the cnc makes things like pickup placement trivial so I finish the guitar before ever stringing them up. And I level my fretboards so much better these days before fretting that dress jobs take less time. The only thing I run into these days is a low fret where the fretboard was soft and the 1ton press drove the fret in too deep.

Ah....I use the block and sponge too.....but first I curve them inwards with a few strokes of a triangle file.

SR

I have a special fret end dressing file for that. Looks like a triangle file with one edge ground smooth ;) Then I bought an expensive little file from Stew Mac for doing that... looks like a small mill file with one edge ground smooth ;P

Then I decided that I liked a little more worn in feel on the fretboard edges. So Wez put up a tutorial on how to do it with a razor... I liked it but I was still using the special Stew Mac file.

All the tools I have ever used for it still have a chance to slip and nick the fretboard... then I realized that using a sanding block with 400 removed the chatter marks from the file. And 120 grit sanding block rounded the fretboard edge and the ends of the frets at the same time. Follow up with a 180 or 220 then polish with a 320 sanding pad and I get done in 5 minutes what use to take hours.

Best of all no fretboard nicks.