Drak's Stupid 'Acoustic' Tele Stuff (pics)

Drak

Here's some pics of a new Tele I started last Saturday.

Kind of electric, kind of acoustic, kind of freakin' whack-o.

The bottom 3 pics were of another Tele I fubarred whilst experimenting on finishes 2 years ago, but the Maple is exactly the same, I had 2 more sets of it which are now going on this Tele, front and back, but no soundholes on the back plates.

I named the other one 'Solar Winds' (I name all my guitars idiotic names) this one will take it's place...maybe 'Solar Flamethrowers'? B)

The back is now glued on and sanded all nicey nice, working on the top still...

I'm also going to install a piezo pkp on this one as soon as I figure out how to do it, ...try to get my acoustic 'thang' goin' on...

The bottom stained part is the normal 'stain black and sand back' approach I usually do, then a reddish dye airbrushed on. If you look at the scroll-saw pic, you can see that the rear set has no soundholes, but the knot is there.

I fubarred it because I THEN (always know when to stop!) stained the whole thing black and sanded back, just to see what it would do, and found out that part of this wood is spaulted (near the top), and took the stain in a very splotchy way that wouldn't sand back out afterwards. Won't be doing that again.

=TOAST. Been there, didn't cry too much... :D

PS, big thanks to Smokey Joe for the free pics site and Wes for showing me how to use it. :D

Body%20Wood.jpg

Body%20Cutout-1.jpg

Control%20Cavity%20Cutout.jpg

Pre-Glueup.jpg

AAAAA%20Back.jpg

StainBlackThen.jpg

RedSuns2.jpg

RedSuns.jpg

That's a good idea Drew, sadly me no think of it 'forehand, the bottom is already glued. I was really concerned about giving the top plate 'room to move' and not quite so concerned about the bottom, I wanted a little more structural integrity to the bottom...but that is a great idea, probably would've done it. :D

drak that is almost frightening. it kind of reminds me of that thing a moth does to predators to make them think that its an owl. amazing finish. *** is with the holes though???? kind of strange. i love it though. its going ot be a sweet guitar. i always imagined a resophonic-acoustic tele though. great job its going to sound sweet!

Thanks Snorkie and Kriz.

The holes were in the top 2 plates, I just used the natural hole as a router guide and routered the hole thru the next set (what's going on top of this one)

I always try to work with the wood if there's something there to work with, in this case, there was, the holes were there naturally, so I just 'went' with the idea. I might try to put binding in these, not sure yet...it's certainly not done by a long shot, I have plenty of time to blow it again! B)

Faji, that's cool, when I posted it 2 years ago on the MIMF, they came up with all kinds of Rorschac (sp?) -ical types of things they thought it looked like, I heard it all man! :D

personally i love the sound of a piezo pickup for blues..... oh man... i can only amagine what this would sound like through a tube screamer through a marshall.... oh man i cant wait to hear it. try and make a switch to combine it with your tele neck pickup, that would be INCREDIBLE!

That's a good idea Drew, sadly me no think of it 'forehand, the bottom is already glued. I was really concerned about giving the top plate 'room to move' and not quite so concerned about the bottom, I wanted a little more structural integrity to the bottom...but that is a great idea, probably would've done it. :D

On the guitar I'm building now the bar is solid with the back. Partly because the redwood is so soft I thought it could use a little more beef for tone and structure and also because the back is one piece and it would have been a major pain to carve it away.

I'm not so sure that having the back able to ring free makes that much difference. The top is what is most important.

My current project will have a Graph Tech piezo bridge and I think your tele would be perfect a perfect match for one as well.

How fubared is the tele? I'd buy it from ya if it isnt too bad. I think I could carrieburst it

I have a pic of it before I threw it against a cinderblock wall, then slammed it on the worktable, then stomped on the pieces in my workboots.

Always do that to the firewood.

Fits in the trash a little easier like that. :DB)