Custom Walnut Bass

While sorting the junk around the shop I found a few of these, all rosewood and all the same scale - any ideas other than just glueing them all together into one? On outter sides and the middle a lam of something else? Can't just throw them away, I'm a packrat... What do you guys do with your offcuts?

img20120915194056.jpg

By gpguitars at 2012-09-17

Those could quite happily be made into inlays or whatever. The problem is always organised storage when it comes to scrap! You might want to complain to the manufacturer about the blade. Was it the one that came with the saw or one from a supplier? I always get replacements if the weld failed.

I kinda want to use the slots since they are already there, so I'm thinking about adding a few triangle shaped cherry lams in between theese rosewood strips and getting one weird fretboard. Perhaps it's just too much work to justifie it... I'm curently very fond of bass players since they seem to have a very open mind regarding the design, so weird is good. :rock

I used to keep every little bit of wood, but nowadays I just use them firewood if they are too small to say, bookmatch a headstock face out of it.

This blade I bought some time ago, and it did the same then - came apart at the weld, so I gave it to be re-welded, and it did the same again, but after a lot of sawing. It's cheaply made, perhaps the alloy is wrong somehow...I got a source for some german-made blades now, so that will probably be a good solution. Good thing I don't have any sawing planed that I can't do with an jig saw.

Got the new blade, 1790 x 9.5, by the color of it I think (hope) it's not as ...good as the previous one. Anyway, all alone at work today, nothing at all to do, so I took my Dremel with me, and routed out the fretboard markers. They are all 3 x 6 mm, and will be plugged with walnut to be cut off fm the sides of the neck. I'll try to align the inlay grain with the neck. Only the 12th is 7 x 6mm, and I'll inlay the inlay with a 3 x 6 mm piece of rosewood later. The Allman Bros have provided the soundtrack, coffee is hot, and it's raining like it'll never stop...

img20120920122937.jpg

img20120920122955.jpg

Yes, I will have to scrape it clean after the sanding, rosewood will color it, but I'm hoping it will look as I have planned. BTW, it's actually walnut offcuts from tapering the neck, so if the glue line is not too visible, it'll look like I had left these little stumps on the neck blank prior to glueing on the fretboard.

:) I forgot to say that it's a heavily modified GP, and in cyrillic leters, too. The pic shows just the first step of the rout, had to change the bit after that to something smaller.

It's supposed to be this:

screenshot20120921at110.jpg

and my friend wants me to fill it with black epoxy. I wanted to inlay a piece of MOP...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had some time to do something...radiused the fboard, scraped the inlays with turned craft knife blade (thanks, Prostheta!), had to redo the 12th, since he decided it forms a letter "U", and he opted for 2 parallel lines instead and thicknessed the headstock somewhat, I might be shaping the face tomorrow. Last but not least, glued in the last alu-piece of the bridge. I have to shape the bridge very slowly, because the alu parts easily get very hot and that could unglue them...

I kinda hate my job right now, so I might get a lot more time to work on guitars very soon...

1img20121008184216.jpg

1img20121008184236.jpg

1img20121008185921.jpg

1img20121008190749.jpg

1img20121008191248.jpg

1img20121008184152.jpg

I've managed to roughly shape the neck today, still need to fine tune it, so I brought it home to look at it for a while. I always find something more to do if I look at it at home...and I can't take a good photo whatever I try. Cameras hate me...

Anyway, I plan to oil the headstock face up to the glue line, and to spray the rest. The nut is supposed to be aluminum.

1img20121014231355.jpg

1img20121014231448.jpg

Well, I made the headstock out of the body offcut, to have it match the grain and color. Body is radiused, and so is the headstock, and I will finish the body in oil/wax, so I want to match that on the headstock, too. But I don't really like oiled necks, especially with lighter colored woods, because it darkens over time because of dirt, so everything but the headstock face up to the glue line will be sprayed.

I will probably not polish it after final wet sanding, so it looks more like the rest of the guitar surface.

A few new pics. My friend came to see the bass, and I just had to take this pic :)

I made the template for the neck, and started the pup one, and went about 15mm deep. Not shown in the pics is today's work, angled the template and routed some more with handheld router. Still some 2mm to go, but all is fine so far. I made the neck angle to suit the bridge, but didn't think to measure it, I think it's about 2 degrees at most.

3img20121020180610.jpg

2img20121020194024.jpg

3img20121020194621.jpg

4img20121020194631.jpg

5img20121020194650.jpg

6img20121020194726.jpg

7img20121020194737.jpg

• 2 weeks later...