refinishing a mapple neck

Hi Duby,

On finishing your neck:

1) Yes, you need to sand between coats.

2) I use steel wool for intermediate sanding.

3) I tend to use more "lacquer" on the back and headstock and less on the fretboard. How many coats? Depends on heavy your coats are.

Take care,

Guitar Ed

Are you doing both the neck and the fretboard? They are both maple? I haven't used steel wool and I'm not saying it shouldn't be used but I think 0000 is the prefered type. I get nervous about the steel particles getting left behind so I haven't used it. I really like the micro-mesh for the higher grit sanding work. It's expensive though.

I think someone here had some problems using steel wool for finishing a birdseye neck not too long ago - the particles got embedded and rusted. Maybe it was on mimf - I don't remember.

I don't know if I will polish after. Actually, I don't know how to polish !!

I'll try to find 0000 steel wood tomorrow. I hope I will find some. Otherwise, I'll use the 000 used gently and smoothly.

If I understand well, I should wait during 4-5 weeks before using again the neck.

Duby

I finished my neck with no sanding at all. of course, I used nitro-cellulose laquer and did just 3 or 4 coats with about an hour between each coat. needless to say it's not very shiny and feels kinda "raw", but I think it plays damn well anyway. I guess time will tell if I'm a complete idiot (as usual) or a lucky fool :D