Anyone Use Strapping Tape?

Just found out about this stuff the other day from a wood working freind. GOOD LORD! best tape I have ever used for binding by far. If you haven't had a chance to try it you have my humble suggestion to give it a shot, its really helpful. I'm sure I'll find lots of other uses for it around the shop as well. Just a PSA.

Havn't used it but will check it out. Thansk for the tip. Does CA adhere to that tape? If not I think we might have a winner here...

A quick serach found that is is availible under the 3M/Scotch brand so it must bge able to track down that way

Yes, it's a 3M product. It's also called "Extreme Packing Tape" sometimes. It's the fiber reinforced, high tack, packing tape.

Before I switched to fish glue binding I used this with CA. It comes off pretty well. Not 100%, it'll grab it in some places. But not really.

Chris

• 5 weeks later...

A somewhat older thread but anyway...

I finaly got hold of a bit of this tape. Not the easiest thing here in Sweden when you only know the english name for it... BTW I found out that it is also called filament tape (I should have known that, thats what Benedetto calls it in his book)

Anyway, I had the oportunity to try some of this stuff last night with some tricky 5-layer binding, One thick high outer binding, one strip of Zip-flex (and that stuff is by itsel amazing, first try there too) and three super thin, flimsy purfling sized binding (total sandwitch from outside: thick white-abalone-thin white-thin black-thin white). And I must say that this tape is amazing. It had the rignt amount of "stick" (even sticking on slightly dusty surfaces but still letting go easy enough), super high strength (not streching or giving), high shearing strenght (think that is the right word, it never teared when pulled over an edge of a binding etc) and generally didn't stick much to CA glue, or the other way around, CA didn't stick to the tape. I was able to pack all the strips so hard together that when I flooded the joints from the top of the guitar the thin CA didn't reach the bottom of the outer rebate for the thick high binding. I had to go over the guitar a second time to get good adhesion there. No problem, just evidence of how good the tape worked. I can wholeharted recomend this to anyone doing bindings.

Thank you very much Shad!!!!! :rock

Have you tried green gardening tape? It's a non-stick, green plastic that is used to tie plants to stakes. When I do binding I use a little brown tape to hold the ends, but then wrap the binding (The entire guitar) with this tape. It's stretches tight and doesn't break. The nice thing is it doesn't pull fibres out of wood binding. It's cheap, a few bucks for a 100 ft roll and it can be used over and over, you just roll it back up.

-John