Tip: Paint Runs - How To Deal With Before Sanding

There has been plenty of "beginner paint" questions lately so I figured I'd throw out a basic trick that I have to do from time to time.

When you get a run in your clear, you can't just sand it back as you often sand through the clear either side of it... so:

Run two strips of tape either side of your run.

These pieces of tape act like a router sled for your razor blade and protect the clear around your run. As long as you keep your blade onto these pieces of tape, you're not going to scratch through your clear.

You can either scratch the run back or you can try slicing it off. If you see the tape start to break up - you're pushing too hard

IF SLICING - Dont slice the whole way through as it'll rip the clear up all the way back to the wood. Try alternating front to back or the run and try jiggling the blade rather than pushing the blade.

Scratching is much safer.

You're not trying to get it flush. You're just getting it back so it's sandable with the rest of the surface. This way lowering your chance of sanding through.

I hope at lest one person learns something from this!

Cheers.

IMG_3027small.jpg

• Like 2

Very useful and very successful. I used that method many years ago when I was renovating a cabinet. Just make sure you use low tack tape to avoid the possibility of pulling the finish off when you remove the tape ;)

Excellent post DX.

I think a thread that features a bunch of expienced builders posting little tips precisely like this one could be pretty useful.....particularly to those just starting. I bet most of us will have Doh-why didn't I ever think of that moments as well.

SR

Just make sure you use low tack tape to avoid the possibility of pulling the finish off when you remove the tape ;)

I only use 2k. 2k clear will not pull. If you do damage it in any way then you haven't left it long enough.

Obviously the ultimate goal is just to avoid runs which I do.... most of the time, but I can definately think of some times when I wish I would have known this trick, I can think of more than one occasion where I caused more damage than I cured with a razor. Thanks for sharing!

TIP FOR THE DAY:

PREPSOL.

Prepsol is a wax and grease remover. Normally, I would prepsol a paintjob before laying basecoats - however today for some stupid reason, I decided I didn't need to.

Start laying paint - BANG - a thumb print.

Our body oils are one of paints natural enemies, along with dust we carry in on our skin and clothes. We can't see the oil we spread when we handle things, yet when the paint hits the oil, its doesn't like it. Becomes clearly visable, also means theres not 100% adhesion in the contaminated spots which could cause paint failure in the future..

The fix: sand back and do it again.

The prevention : Prepsol.

Prepsol has it's own devils. You need to wipe it on with one rag, wipe it off with another rag, as you also need to get all the prepsol off or it'll create its own non adhesion contamination.

IMG_3119small.jpg