Set Neck Jazzmaster

Here's a guitar I'm working on with a friend. He's on a course from me and across the country from home for 6 months. He'd mentioned he was looking at getting a new electric guitar and was over and had a look at a guitar I'd built previously. "You build guitars?" and "That looks awesome" turned into a new project. I'm trying to get him to do most of the work with my supervision. He has very limited woodworking experience, so sometimes I take over for the critical parts. Anyway, here's the guitar he looked at:

LPDone01.jpg

And here's what we're working on:

Set neck Jazzmaster

Flamed maple neck with macassar ebony fretboard, 22 frets

Cherry body with bubinga top and ebony centre strip

Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder Jazzmaster pickups

Vol/Tone controls with 3 position switch (neck/both/bridge)

Gotoh tuners

LMII hardtail bridge

Here are some progress pictures:

B41DA8C2.jpg

C59E2931.jpg

9F7AA89E.jpg

And this is where it sits now:

14EE3792.jpg

Next up is fretting the neck and routing the pickup cavities before the neck is glued into the body.

I have two 6 string basses and a headless guitar on the go right now as well. I'll try to get something up on those.

Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder Jazzmaster pickups look like P-90s. What's the difference between the two?

This is a good looking build so far, love the fretboard.

SR

Quarter pounders should have .25 pole pieces (instead of modern .185" or vintage .197")

Jazzmaster bobbins are even more squashed than a P90 making the coil wider. In general the shape of a coil plays a part in shaping the EQ of the sound. In general the taller a coil the brighter the output.

Fat and Warm but they are easy to mess up... personally I think they are too flat and hard to make sound good (when building my own) however I am sure that seymour has done them right. Nothing like having a lot of resources to throw at experimentation.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The inlay is absolutely covering a mishap, good pickup. What happened was the neck tenon is like an LP neck, so it has the tongue under the fretboard that isn't the full size of the fretboard. Shaping the neck joint I carved too deep into the body and exposed the bottom of the neck tenon in a small area. While this did nothing structurally to compromise the joint, the nice straight neck joint now had an area where the maple ran into the cherry and looked rather ugly. My solution was to do this inlay. There's a matching pearl inlay on the back of the headstock, but I didn't get any pictures up of that.