Westone Dynasty Refurbish

Good luck, John. This should be a win.

...Unlike the epic-fail I had 4 years ago with a similar Electra body resto. I filled the center pup and tremo routs with maple. Drilled for a hard-tail HipShot bridge. Then I shellacqued it and sprayed the body with auto-body acryllic rattle-cans.... and (unwisely) glitter. Bad ideas give bad results: The paint never really hardened, and flaked-off weeks later when I tried to play it. It's still my beater guitar until I feel more worthy of another attempt.

PS, I love your Corus. Odd shapes inspire us.

After thinking about it overnight, I have come to the conclusion that the current order of events I have planned is just about the stupedist way I can do it. I'm just BEGGING tor trouble!

New plan:

sand off the red I already applied & re-prep the surface

paint the whole body white

protect the white with a coat of w/b finish

tape off the entire face of the body

cut out the pinstripes

paint the pinstripes red

I'm anticipating some bleed under the tape, and possible some overspray leaking around to the back of the body. With the coat of finish, it will be easier to clean off with mineral spirits without taking off any of the white.

Now sit back and watch me screw this up too! I hate finishing a body.

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 10:54 AM, Prostheta said:

Which part of that list was the clincher?

Losing interest in the project. The divorce and move put a LOT of things on hold. By the time I got the wood shop re-established in the garage, I had lost interest. Honestly, most of it was that it's a re-finishing job, and I hate/suck at finishing. 

The divorce/move was 6 years ago. I only had the building bug for about 6 months since then. I've moved again, which stalls everything. BUT...... the bug is starting to bite me again. I've been tinkering around with a couple of things and looking into a couple more.

• Like 1