Westone Dynasty Refurbish

wip001.jpg

I have no idea when I'll really get around to working on this hardcore, what I'll end up needing to do, how far I'll take it, etc, etc, etc. I paid $175 shipped for it.

Since Westones are pretty good to begin with, I don't believe I'll have to do any hardware upgrades. The seller said the bridge pup is weak and the wiring is a little wonky.

Here's what I know for certain:

two of the three knobs are gone

one pot has a broken shaft

I hate the switch tip

the jack plate has been moved leaving exposed holes

lots of chips in the paint

no locks in the clampy-thing on the headstock

the bottom of the headstock has been beat to hell

the wiring cavity doesn't look very fun, and has almost no shielding

wip002.jpg

wip003.jpg

wip004.jpg

wip005.jpg

wip006.jpg

wip007.jpg

wip008.jpg

I have the feeling that I'll want to replace the pups, if only out of principle. Since I'll have to do the one pot, and the bridge pup is reportedly bad, I'll probably do a complete re-wire. The original paint/finish is REALLY thick and has a ton of chips, so a re-paint isn't out of the question. I'm pretty sure that the tuners & bridge can just be cleaned up and will still be good to go.

For those who have done projects like this before, I'd welcome any tips your experience can provide.

Why bother with 80's cheese when you can come up with something cool and original for a paint job?

Because I happen to love me some 80's cheese. :D

white.jpg

I love the Dynasty because it was around when I started playing guitar in '87. My shop carried Westone, and had a Dynasty I always liked to mess around with. Now that I finally have one, it's all about nostalgia for me. Trying to recapture that 80's vibe is what a refinish would be all about for me.

FWIW: I've had a Rail bass for >20 years. I've wanted to make a guitar version for some time. I'd love to get ahold of a satin lavender Geneses some day.

3338610385_f02e127b39.jpg

I love the Dynasty because it was around when I started playing guitar in '87. My shop carried Westone, and had a Dynasty I always liked to mess around with. Now that I finally have one, it's all about nostalgia for me. Trying to recapture that 80's vibe is what a refinish would be all about for me.

Same here. The cheesier the better. :player

BTW Matsumoku guitars seem to be way over valued these days... they are supposed to be great pawn shop guitars not collectors items.

That - and what we do here - is why I went for a beater. I've seen these go for $400-$600 on eBay is good shape. Nice Pantera and Genesis models can easily go for more. If I were to spend that much doe a "vintage" ax, I'd look for a Teisco Spectrum with all the knobs and split pups.

I guess the market finally realized that Westones better than what we used to think they were. I didn't realize it until a few years ago. The only endorsers I remember them having were Trevor Rabin and Leslie West. They were handled by SLM, which also handled Crate (mid-grade amps), Memphis guitars (low end crap), Alvarez (average-low acoustics), etc. So in my mind, Westone was mediocre-by-association.

FWIW: St. Louis Music (SLM) is still in business. One of the bus routes I drove goes right past them. If it weren't for having a stable job with the bus company, I'd apply there.

BTW Matsumoku guitars seem to be way over valued these days... they are supposed to be great pawn shop guitars not collectors items.

prices have gone up? O.o Apparently I need to snag some of these local ones haha, they are all dirt cheap.

A clean Matsumoku whatever goes for 400-500 on eBay. There are no local ones here. I am a big fan of the crazy shaped Aria and Westones but can't bother to invest that kind of money for crap guitars. Not when I can get a vintage Ibanez Destroyer II or RG for same money.

whoops - wrong thread :blush

i better add something on topic.

Westone thunders can be had in the UK usually for less than £150, which is about $240. I had one a couple of years ago for a while and really liked it, couldnt believe the quality of some of the woodwork for such a cheap 80's guitar. the pre-amp was a bit noisy but that is all i could really fault about it

Is the dynasty a matsumoku guitar? - they moved production from japan in the later 80's. cant remember if this model predates that or not.

Westone thunders can be had in the UK usually for less than £150, which is about $240. I had one a couple of years ago for a while and really liked it, couldnt believe the quality of some of the woodwork for such a cheap 80's guitar. the pre-amp was a bit noisy but that is all i could really fault about it

Is the dynasty a matsumoku guitar? - they moved production from japan in the later 80's. cant remember if this model predates that or not.

Yes.

Matsumoku/SLM years 1981-1991

I bolted the neck back on and put on a low E string so I could check out the electronics. Overall, the wiring is really solid, with the exception of the bridge pup. There is some weird stuff going on in there when you mess with the coil tap. Sometimes the signal gets really weak when tapped, then sometimes it's OK. Sometimes the whole pup is weak, sometimes not. The other two pups are OK, so I'll only need to replace the bridge. I'm thinking about getting a used a DiMarzio Super Distortion on eBay.

It's a shame that the post on the neck pot is broken. I hate the idea of replacing it (and re-doing the wiring) when it works perfectly right now. But whaddya gonna do, right?

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for a re-finish. I'll be stripping the back of the neck to bare wood and leaving the headstock face black. I prefer the feel of wood over finish on a neck. Maybe some touch-ups on the headstock paint and re-lacquer & polish, but not much if I can get away with it. I don't want to destroy the original Westone graphics if possible.

• 1 year later...

I finally took it out to sand off the body paint. DANG that crap is uber thick! And it smells a little like burning plastic. ^_^

Does anyone have any experinece with making replacement decals? The chips around the edge of the headstock have a serious ledge and would likely look like ass if I didn't completely re-do it.

Given the shape, it makes more sense than wasting huge chunks of wood by making it a two or three-piece. Nothing wrong with laminating pieces together as long as you observe correct alternation and rotation of growth rings. Body looks a bit thick. I would be tempted to add a taper left and right beyond the sides of the pickup rings and pop on a thin cap of Maple or something. Those bevels aren't complex to re-create. It would look so much sleeker.

PS. "Japs" is an unpleasant racial diminutive. Please stop that.

My first electric was a Westone Electra with a Crate amp. I Soooo wanted one of those Dynasty as a kid. That brings back some memories. I should get that axe back from my uncle. I think vintage 80's cheese is awesome. Maybe do a "modern" interpretation of the white with the red stripes.