Build #3 Multiscale Prs

I've read all the topics about multiscale and felt that I gotta try it out so this i build with wood that I have laying around and leftover hardware.

• Chambered oak body (probably gonna chamber it a lot to keep the weight down.
  • Maple top
  • Mahogany set neck
  • pau ferro fretboard
  • Scale 25,5" and 24,5" (not so much perhaps but...) "normal" 7th fret
  • Inlays...haven't decided yet
  • Black Gotoh tuners
  • New black ABM 3210 http://www.thomann.d...itar_bridge.htm
  • Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates bridge (anybody got a good matching neck pup for that!?)
  • Color will be all white I think....

This is what I have so far.

The drawing:

Multiscale%20PRS%20drawing.JPG

And starting to chamber the body (yes it's an old table from IKEA ;) ):

Chambered-2012-08-05_small.jpg

Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates bridge (anybody got a good matching neck pup for that!?)

RAD (RestorationAD) will. Get him to make you a PAF wound to vintage specs and you'll be in heaven when you hear it.

So the body is going to be made from a hunk of hardwood flooring running sideways......fascinating. I'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out, and how it sounds. It has the potential for looking quite sweet.

SR

Edit....I missed a line. It's a table rather than flooring.....still looking forward to it.

SSR

Edited by ScottR

I didnt actually give that much thought about the wood running sideways to be honest. It's been laying around for 15 years without warping in any direction. I just placed it where it fitted. Do you think it will cause a problem?

And if it gets TO heavy I might scrap it and go for some alder or similiar.

Basically I just wanna keep the cost down to a minimum since I never tried a multiscale and might just end up hating it ;)

/Kenneth

So, rough cut complete. Compared it to a complete mahoganybody (without a top) I have.

The mahogany weighs in at 1,8kg with all cavities routed and correct thickness. This one weighs in at 2,6 without cavities and 0,5cm to thick.

The back on the chamber parts are 2cm thick. So I might get away with it.

So, rough cut complete. Compared it to a complete mahoganybody (without a top) I have.

The mahogany weighs in at 1,8kg with all cavities routed and correct thickness. This one weighs in at 2,6 without cavities and 0,5cm to thick.

The back on the chamber parts are 2cm thick. So I might get away with it.

Weight is a bit of a funny issue. I like heavy gitirs, My all time fave is a Les paul type thing i built myself a few years ago that weighs just under 10lbs. But then another of my best is a single cut that weighs a full 12.5lbs. That one belongs to a good client of mine who niknamed it the hammer of god because of its massive weight :lol:

If its heavy, then get a wide strap, Usualy weight is only an issue if the strap is thin. Failing that - join a gym & pack on a few stones. It will get real light then.

So the body is routed except for the "wire channel" and it weighs almost exactly 2kg vs 1,8kg for the mahogany body.

That's 4.4 lbs vs 4,0 lbs for you non-metric folks ;)

Body%20back%202012-08-10%2018.30.57%20-%20small.jpg

Body%20front%202012-08-10%2018.31.08%20-%20small.jpg

I got a big hole in the back to fill and level with epoxy. But since it's gonna be solid white, it's not a problem.

I gotta say though. Working with scrapwood is a lot more "fun" then standing with a piece of wenge or whatever that you paid a small fortune for. Waited for two weeks to be shipped from the other side of the globe and just hoping that you don't screw it up by making a measuring mistake or slipping with the router or something like that.

So next up is the top.

/Kenneth

Structurally I think you're probably fine... but wood expands in that direction. So even if you have a correctly directioned top, the majority of the body wood is expanding parallel to the scale length. You may (read may) have problems with having to adjust your intonation when the seasons change.

Chris