cab help

whisky182

so, 1 simple, really basic question, WILL IT WORK?!?!?!?!?

With your Marshall in it's current state, no. Read back on this entire thread. There have been suggestions on how to make it work... like to add your own output jack, etc. If you didn't understand the suggestions, please ask specific questions.

like to add your own output jack, etc. If you didn't understand the suggestions, please ask specific questions.

so, how do i add my own output jack?!!

:D

(sorry if this has been said before, i am a small brained person and things need to be explained to me in the simpleest way possible!!)

Is your Marshall an open back or is it closed? The manual that lovekraft linked to earlier doesn't have pictures of it's back side. Can you see the two wires that are connected to the speaker? Are these wires soldered on are or are they connected with blade connectors? Whatever the answers are to these questions, it can be done. An open back, with blade connectors will be the easiest situation. Post a picture of the back if you can.

In the meantime, here are a few links to cabinet builds:

http://www.flyservers.com/members4/qingcon...kercabinet.html

http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/construction.html

http://www.partsexpress.com/

The last link sells the hardware pieces. Click on "Speaker Building."

1. Turn power off and disconnect amp from mains (Sorry, but sometimes people forget).

2. Remove the leads from your speaker after noting which side is hot and which is ground.

3. Attach speaker leads to 1/4" mono jack, hot lead to tip terminal.

4. Mount jack in a suitable place, plug in external cabinet, rock out.

Alternatively, you could wire a switch jack to disconnect the internal speaker when you plug in the extension. Remember not to power up the amp without a speaker hooked up or run a load less than 4 ohms, since it would likely destroy the power amp.

Ooops, sorry JB, we seem to be on the same wavelength, your reply obviously hit while I was writing mine.

No problem, bro :D. I was trying to get whisky182 to figure it out for himself with guiding questions. But your steps are it, that's the way! I especially like the switched jack suggestion. B)

Whiskey, I must apologize :D - sometimes I think too much and remember too little. I patched an old JTM 30 into my 4-12, and it drove 4 Vintage 30s without a problem. Loud, too. Buy the best speakers you can afford, make sure it's not less than 4 ohms total, install your jack and go for it. Please, though, no car audio speakers - they suck for guitar. Don't know where you are in Merry Ol', but Celestion has a dealer list on their website broken down geographically:

Dealers and Distributors.

Be sure and build that cabinet tight. MDF works great, but it's heavy, so consider casters. I've used Win ISD to design bass cabs, but for guitar I think it's probably overkill - find a cab you like the sound of, and reproduce it fairly closely, dimension-wise, and I think you'll probably be happy with it. Check this thread for more:

Building your own cabinets

:D yat, cheers, i have a few more Questions that i'll probly post later on (i need a diagram to help explain them!!!)

and answering some questions,

Buy the best speakers you can afford

i'm poor and can't afford expencive speakers, i could save up and Buy a marshall mg412!!

Is your Marshall an open back or is it closed? The manual that lovekraft linked to earlier doesn't have pictures of it's back side. Can you see the two wires that are connected to the speaker? Are these wires soldered on are or are they connected with blade connectors?

it's open backed, i can see the two wires, and yes, i think they are blade connectors!!!

k, i dunno how to get a picture up on here and i just had a great idea, could i put a switch in, so i could either use the 4x12 cab, or the 1x12 that's already in the amp!! if some one tells me hoe to get a picture on here i'll show you all!!!

You can put a switch but I really liked the switched jack suggestion lovekraft made. In case you don't know what a switched jack would do, when nothing is plugged in, it'd used the internal speaker, when the 4x12 cab is plugged in, it'd automatically will switch off the internal speaker... and you don't want to use both at the same time, in case you were wondering.

you could wire a switch jack to disconnect the internal speaker when you plug in the extension.

i like this idea too, i missed it first time round, so... anyone gonna tell me how to do this then?!?!

i mean, where do you buy them for a start, and could anyone do a diagram of where to put it in?!? :D

you could wire a switch jack to disconnect the internal speaker when you plug in the extension.

i like this idea too, i missed it first time round, so... anyone gonna tell me how to do this then?!?!

i mean, where do you buy them for a start, and could anyone do a diagram of where to put it in?!? :D

I have no idea of where you'd find them in the UK. You might want to PM MikeB. He seems pretty electronics savvy. He's from N. Ireland so he might have some suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late replie, but I now have the details of a reputable UK dealer: Award session. They have a massive range of speakers and price ranges. Unfortuatly they don't have a site, but they do have a email and pone number if thats good enough.

Phone:01256 477 222

email:award-session@radius-intl.deamon.co.uk

hope thats enough, they look pretty good