Custom Jag Bass

MiKro

Here's my start on a Jag style bass for a friend.
3 piece Alder body.
Neck Tele style head 21 fret.
3 emgs actives
3 vol 1 tone
BadAss Bass 2 Bridge.
Will be painted finish.

This is todays work about 5 hours.
Tommorrow will do the back side,Control cavity and batt box. :)
MK

Jagbass1.jpg

Jagbass2.jpg

Jagbass3.jpg

• Like 1

I was just thinking looking at this: I have MOST pickup routes I need, but man, if I had to do J-Bass pickups tomorrow I'd be pretty screwed. A good idea for forum sales may be "the definitive pickup route kit." Comes in bearing-template bit (fewer templates cause some I'm guessing have areas with too tight a radius for template bits) or a set that uses a bit and collar (same size for all so no second guessing etc.). You could do humbucker for rings, humbucker for direct mount, strat, tele, P90, P-Bass, J-Bass, and maybe a couple of the odd one's in there for good measure like Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Mini Humbucker, or something.

I know I for one could benefit from this, especially if they were tried and tested and true. I know I've got probably 4-5 'humbucker' route templates, and not all are created equal. The stewmac one's pretty good, but I've made copies over the years and have definitely accidentally grabbed a template copied off of a JEM template I got awhile back and it's just definitely not as good a route shape. It'd be nice to throw them all away and have a 'gold source' if you will.

Food for entrepreneurial thought,

Chris

PS: The bass is lookin' cool. I am a Jag fan myself :)

• Like 1

I was just thinking looking at this: I have MOST pickup routes I need, but man, if I had to do J-Bass pickups tomorrow I'd be pretty screwed. A good idea for forum sales may be "the definitive pickup route kit." Comes in bearing-template bit (fewer templates cause some I'm guessing have areas with too tight a radius for template bits) or a set that uses a bit and collar (same size for all so no second guessing etc.). You could do humbucker for rings, humbucker for direct mount, strat, tele, P90, P-Bass, J-Bass, and maybe a couple of the odd one's in there for good measure like Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Mini Humbucker, or something.

I know I for one could benefit from this, especially if they were tried and tested and true. I know I've got probably 4-5 'humbucker' route templates, and not all are created equal. The stewmac one's pretty good, but I've made copies over the years and have definitely accidentally grabbed a template copied off of a JEM template I got awhile back and it's just definitely not as good a route shape. It'd be nice to throw them all away and have a 'gold source' if you will.

Food for entrepreneurial thought,

Chris

PS: The bass is lookin' cool. I am a Jag fan myself :)

Have you looked at all of the Bass Pickups and the sizes? Man that 's a frigging nigthmare. :) LOL!!!!!

• 6 months later...

I LOVE that color!

Thanks Bob, The customer painted it. Beleive it or not, he used Tamiya plastic model lacquer for the color coat. Then we sprayed it with automotive clear coat. :) BTW the picture is almost the true color. It is actually a little darker