Quick Woods ?

TaylorLumberWebLog.jpg

1. Top is flat sawn.

2. Bottom left is rift sawn.

3. Bottom right is quarter sawn.

I was told by a sawyer that rift sawn produces the best looking wood for tops, but nobody does anymore because it wastes too much wood.

I think you have 2 and 3 backwards in your diagram. The bottom right portion would produce a few perfectly quartered boards, but the rest on either side of the center board would be more and more off quarter, and the ones closer to the edge would be considered rift sawn, which is kinda between flatsawn and quartersawn. The bottom left protion would produce the most quartered boards, though it does waste alot of wood.

wow...i actually found another site that contradicts that one!!!what is going on here?i want factual info and how do i know which is correct?

before this topic i always thought that quartersawn meant the grain ran straight up and down...now i am told it runs side to side.

can anyone clear this up with some reliable info?

I just checked a book I have, I shows a cutting pattern similar to the bottom right in WWW's diagram, calling it radial sawing, which is another term for quartersawn. It must refer to the pattern in which you cut the log, though I DO know the grain orientation for a single board is as follows:

sawn.jpg