P-90 Pot., Not Too High Tone.

MP63

Building a guitar from some scrap pieces around that I've had for years.

I am using one P-90 that will be mounted about halfway between the bridge and the neck.

I am looking more of a lower end tone, not too high.

What is a good pot. for that?

Thanks,

Mike

Forgot to metion, it is for the volume pot.

I do not want to use a tone pot.

Edited by MP63

Tim 37, would a 250K volume lower the high ends?

ScottR, what I got is a Dimarzio P-187, going to be mounted about 2.5-3 inches from the bridge.

How about a 500K push-pull pot.?

Can I substitue the tone pot. by using just this one pot.?

All in one? Volume and Tone?

Thanks guys.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

do you actually use the tone pot on your guitars? or do you want it in place for the loading that it will do even on ten? i assume you mean a dp-167 as a 187 is a dual rail mini humbucker. why not wire the dimarzio and run a small cable out to a box with different pots and caps so you can see what you like. with a rating of 5.5 6.0 4.5 tmb respectively i would probably go with a 500k pot if its half way in between the two positions so you can get a little more output out of it since a 270mv pickup isn't that hot. you can use a push pull but when you pull it out you are effectively removing the volume pot from the impedance to ground scenario which will alter your tone as well. unless you go with say a 500k trim pot or a resistor wired into the push pull so when you pull it out you remove the volume effect but still keep the same imp to ground and then use the volume pot as a tone. i could draw you up something if you like.

2013-03-15174752_zps6d2fce58.jpg

hey btw i drew this up didn't have time to check the bottom wiring but i did check the top it should work fine

I played with it thee other might it is good

I have one 500K pot. one 250K and a 500k push pull.

The object was to keep it cheap. Normally I use the tone at ten, so a tone is not needed.

I have heard that the DP167 is a bit in the bright side.

I have not played this pickup yet.

Will a volume pot make a difference between 500K and 250K?

Thank you for the help!!

Mike

• 1 month later...

yes, and sorry for the late reply i thought i did this on my cell phone. some time ago. it all depends on pickups but most the time yes quite a bit brightness with a 500k. the reason i asked about a tone control is that even on ten it robs some brightness. so even if its just in the circuit on ten with a simple resistor and cap it will help tame some high end.