how do string thru's work?

hi..im making a string thru pretty soon and im wondering how do they work? how many ferrules does each string need? and where these ferrules go? i thought each string only needed one ferrule...but then i looked at a guitar and i noticed little rings around where the string comes out on top of the guitar and in back where the strings go in? can someone explain how to do this? thanks

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I drill for the 6 strings, the the ferrules. Most have an insert at the top, but you could use some 1/8" brass tubing. If that makes sense to you, let me know.

ok thanks thats making sense....so where do the ferrules sit? in the middle of the guitar just about or does it matter? and what about the metal rings that protect the top where the come out? just use brass tubing cut to length like you said?thanks alot

i have a string thru set up on the one im workin on right now i used fender string ferules for mine. i got 12 of em 6 for the front and 6 for the back that way the wood doesnt get messed up. of course i didnt kno how to do em so i winged it and didnt recess the ferules but it looks half way decent ne ways if u want to see a picture i got sum on my site heres the link:

My Webpage

near the bottom should b front and back views

hope this helps

MzI

i say get 12 guitar string ferrules. 6 for the back of the body [where the string goes through] and 6 for the front of the body. [where the string comes out] this way you can't go wrong. but i don't know if it is done this way on production guitars, but it sure looks like it is.

wow dude, that's a beautiful axe you made there MzI. :D

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars
yes, drill press.

Reccomeded do the ferrule recess first.

Really? I was thinking the opposite. I could drill the string thru then I know exactly where to drill for the ferrule...

I guess its part of what makes me a newbie :D

Well, it can be tricky centering the smaller bit.