Sincerely appreciate all the kind words everyone, it means more to me than you'd know.

Is the area where the join is being oiled, clearcoated or what?

When I'm finally ready for finish I will be using Tru-Oil. I've decided that for the back of the headstock I will do a veneer of ebony over bloodwood and then put a slight bevel on it. I think this will help tie the overall look of the back to the front of the guitar but time will tell. I'll be doing this sometime after carving the volute.

My woods class (much to my frustration) was cancelled today. I get a lot of my major work done there and it only meets once a week; this is why progress is so slow. If there is anybody on this forum around the Chicagoland area who would be willing to allow me access to their shop I'd be MOST grateful and would gladly provide lunch and/or brews!

Sorry to hear the rug has been pulled out from underneath you. I'm sure that many of us know what that's like when you're mid-project!

If you're going glossy with the oil, pop a drop of CA glue into the area you want to fill and pack in some Ebony dust. Really push that stuff in. Scrape it back with this kind of tool:

denib.jpg

That is a craft knife blade with a hook turned over the blade's edge. Same as how you burnish a hook on a card scraper. I run the blade at 45° backwards down the shaft of a screwdriver and mark the side "with" the hook with a black X. You can feel the hook with your finger. Compare it to the opposite side for reference.

Wrapping a couple of pieces of masking tape over each end produces a quick tool where the exposed part of the blade in the centre can be used to shave back the dried glue and Ebony dust. The tape creates just enough clearance to leave the scraped area raised by a tenth of a mm or so.

Just make sure it is dry before you start. Once you've shaved it back, re-fill any gaps and repeat. Once done fully, bring the level of the repair down to the level of the rest of the headstock.

I use craft knife blades with hooks turned for all kinds of quick scraping jobs. Worth it when you buy 200 at a time!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, over a year later and this thing still isn't done. Got strings on it and have been slowly making adjustments and fine tuning things to get her to play as well as I possibly can. Been busy with work and school but more than that I've just been unable to bring myself to disassemble and get oil on it. I enjoy playing it quite a bit, plays well and sounds killer. Here's where we're at these days:

output_zpsmwb6sqi9.jpg

Front

output_zpsyj6d4ior.jpg

Back (and cat!)

output_zpsb5ci4dei.jpg

• Like 2

Cool man, I'm glad to see that you still have it and are still working on it. Gives me hope that my project will eventually be finished. I'm trying to get an Mech Engineering degree so my woodworking has taken back burner for a while :(

Does the cat shred too?

-Brett

You should put a finish on it(oil or whatever) soon.You need to eqalize the moisture exchange as quickly as you can so the glue joints don't start to separate.That happens a lot to me with ebony since ebony is naturally oily and most other woods aren't.The other woods expand and contract more and weaken the joint.