In the works

OK, this is something I've been working on for the last couple of days.

The 6-string version:

501928_5_full.jpg

The 7-string version:

501928_6_full.jpg

The 6-string version has Schaller trem route and the 7-string one has fixed-type bridge from Hipshot (the one that Scott Rosenberger used on his green 7-string, the 70$ one, although I am thinking of switching the trem to the 7-string and fixed bridge on a 6-string version). The body will be basswood (I bought nice piece very cheap!) on both of them. I would like to read your opinions. If you have any questions, fire away!

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

petrucci models with some different bridge options?

Actually, no. This the EBMM/Ibanez JPM crossover model. The carve is in-between the Gibson SG and the EBMM JPM model on a Ibanez RG body base. The lines that represent the carve border will not be gradually softened. Instead, they will be sharp. Also, I'll try to scoop the arm rest, like on the EBMM model.

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

that's very nice man!

No, man. Not yet. These drawings are done in CorelDRAW but I'm thinking of making AutoCAD files out of them so I can take them to CNC router and produce the most accurate bodies. My knowledge in AutoCAD is not so great. If I could find someone to help me or even do it for me, that would be a blast! If not, I'll do it by cutting the template on a 3M transparent adhesive film and do it by hand. I saw AutoCAD files in the "Download Section". They're prety good, especially AlexVDL's. He shure knows how to do it.

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

Guest AlexVDL

I'm sorry but I don't know anything about the CNC settings...

The abalone swirl in the paint section was made from my 3D cad drawing, but I don't know what had to be altered to get it ready for the CNC machine.

I don't think much, because the guy who made that body doesn't know much about Cad. I think he only had to convert to the file to another specific CNC style filetype, but I can't remember exactly what he told me, sorry.

But I shall ask it again for you :D

Guest AlexVDL

I don't have a 7 string with me at the moment, but wouldn't it be obvious that the only difference between a 7 string pickup and a 6 string pickup is just one extra polepiece???

So my guess is to just measure the distance between two regular polepieces, and add that number up to the total width of a normal humbucker route. B)

Although I don't think so, I could be wrong about this :D

Guest AlexVDL

Here's mine.... by the way the left humbucker route is taken off the Ibanez Jem blueprint.

routes.jpg

The distance between E to E polepieces on an F-spaced pickup is 2 inches. Devided by 5 equals to 10,16mm, that's the distance between the polepieces. So the total hight (or lengt or width, depends how you look at it) is 10,16mm longer :D

Okay, now onto the topic again please B)

I love your design mullmuzzler... I have thought about the same idea a few times now. Luckily you'll be the first to begin with it, so if it turns out bad I won't end up with a piece of scrap :D

Just kidding, I think it will look super!! What kind of finish are you planning to use??

btw great designs, i presume the line is the line of the carving? very nice indeed!

Yes it is. The line is meant to be left sharp, to be some kind of physical and aestetical border of the carve.

Alex, I have a couple of options. I thought to do some kind of car sparkle finish, kinda industrial look... Dark cherry sparkle... Blue sparkle... The fretboard will be maple, preferably figured. If this one comes out alive, I'll do another one, this time with 25mm mahagony base and 20mm maple cap (BTW the carve starts at 30 mm from the base of the body, so there will be a 5mm natural binding). The arm rest should look like lower horn of the PRS guitar, only bigger. I have a killer red stain my dad used some 10 years ago for the speakers (KEF Constructor Series). I'll post pic when I get hands on a digital camera to shoot them.

I'm glad you guys like it even if it is still in the "blueprint stage".

mullmuzzler | OSSMT