ETB Xtrec Build (my take on the explorer shape)

EthanB08

I was going to say, ah man, you took all the contrast out of your blue when you wiped it down to lighten it a bit. I'm pleased that it came back a bit with the clear. It will likely come back to your expectations, with a few more coats. Brushing usually lays down a much heavier deposit per coat than spraying.

I usually end up barefoot by the end of the building day too.:)

SR

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it came together better in different lighting and with more coats. In the future, a darker first coat and sprayed test pieces will be for sure.
Well 160 hours later and I could start wet sanding and buffing. So here we are!!!

The back 
DSC_2796_zpso3ciopzw.jpg

Some reflection. Little bit ripply with the figure, looks mostly flat, iIm guessing minor finish shrinkage.
DSC_2805_zps4fm7h7un.jpg

5 coats of tru-oil sanded to 2000 grit and then gone over with some 0000 steel wool. Feel's like butter, but like not like a gross handful of butter, like a metaphorical smooth butter that isn't messy.
DSC_2811_zpsjktn9wmq.jpg?t=1445232034

Some interesting ripply looking zebrawood. I'm not sure if this is some sort of micro figure as a result of interlocked grain (which this piece indeed was interlocked) or some other phenomena, certainly not machine marks, it was sanded plenty and mostly hand tooled.
DSC_2812_zpswjcaw9y7.jpg

And finally a little put together. I'm still waiting on pickups and some cavity cover screws which should arrive some time this week.
DSC_2818_zpsatmbc7ai.jpg

• Like 1

Yes indeed, oil does wonders for an enhanced natural looking wood finish. Weight is around 10.5lbs without pickups and tuners, so I imagine it will be 11lbs-ish or so when fully together. Which I imagine is normal-ish if not slightly on the plus side for explorer shapes. The strap on it has a bit of surprisingly comfortable padding, and I'm fairly use to explorers so it's all good with me (age might change my mind in the future). Plus with where the strap locks are positioned it balances the neck slightly up in a rather comfortable way. I'll have to get it together and play it for an hour to really tell though.