Tom's African Fretless Bass

So (nonchalantly pretending it hasn't been weeks since I last posted on this thread) to the jack socket....

When the project started out, we both thought it might be a right dog's dinner and the challenge was simply to get a bass that:

• didn't fall to pieces
  • sounded at least as good (or, as a minimum, nearly as good) as a rubber band stretched over a baked bean can
  • we both knew that some bits would look a bit odd, chunky and rough but that if we stuck with (using the artistic definition) a 'primitive' rough-carved, hand- carved look, those bits would not look entirely out of place 

Tom had some particular wants with some aspects, and was very open to suggestion on others:

•  We had already decided there simply was not enough depth of body to fit pots of any sort, so the pickup would be direct wired to the jack socket
  • We had both twigged that the average jack prong was at least 50% longer than the body was deep...
  • ...and Tom specifically wanted to use a neutrik locking socket.   Man, those are big suckers...
  • Tom also wanted a top entry jack (a la ES335, Jazz bass, etc) 
  • Tom wanted to have a major input into the shape of the headstock.

The two paragraphs in italics above are linked, causing an interesting dilemma later in the story, but for now, back to the jack socket.  So at the moment we were still in the primitive but functional 

So - easy.  Rough-carve a great big lump of cocobolo, tall enough to stop the jack and socket poking though the back of the bass and put the neutrik into it:

aClYV7jl.jpg

nKsTQyXl.jpg?1  

Fuho9OEl.jpg

So - in terms of looking like a dogs dinner, looking primitive but functional, we certainly had achieved one of our objectives :D

• Like 2

So to the headstock.  Here Tom had an aspiration.  He wanted longish, a cutout, angled tuners, capped top and bottom, non-symmetrical.

We had a happy week of emailing thoughts, tweaks, different thoughts, more tweaks, until we agreed on this:

7kn44pxl.jpg

Beyond that, I was free to do what I liked :lol:

I needed to widen the headstock which I did with a couple of strips of cocobolo, and then firstly plated it on the top - also with cocobolo.  Rather than just a plain cutout, I went for an angled and filed cutout:

dyicJELl.jpg

At the back, before I added the second plate, I carved Tom's next requirement - a thumb rest built into the volute, positioned where Tom preferred for a 34.5" scale fretless (he told me where, so I didn't have to guess or make it up...phew!):

vC3nPRFl.jpg

Then carved and fitted the backplate:

ZMbsXmpl.jpg

Finally, added my MoP 'swifts':

0M2hRGSl.jpg

Add a few tuners, the brass adjustable nut and maple trussrod cover (also with swift routed into it) and the headstock was done:

bQCnungl.jpg

So here was the dilemma.....this now didn't look quite so 'primitive'...in fact, it was starting to look almost 'elegant'...in parts

5yRaASKl.jpg

Well THAT wasn't in the plan! 

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the delay in putting an end to this trailing, meandering thread ;)

The bass was now almost done.

I wasn't sure what strings Tom wanted, so to sort the action and test the basic strength I popped on the only strings I had in the drawer that were long enough - some really poor acoustic bass strings off an upgraded $40 (yes - I mean that...and that was new!!!) acoustic bass.  Roundwound and bronze.  

Oh, dear oh dear....but...wait a minute....it actually sounds OK....in fact it sounds GREAT!!!!!

As for the final neck shape, I had agreed that I would do the final carve when Tom could visit to sort that and his preferred action height, and his preferred strings, etc, etc.  As such, I left it at a couple of mm thicker than my normal target and 'U' shaped on the basis that "you can always take it off but you can't stick it back on"

But I was troubled by one thing.  When you see the pictures below, it will make you hold your head in your hands and tut loudly

The problem was simply this: Tom and I had started off with a single purpose - to see if it was at all possible to incorporate this wholly unsuitable piece of wood into something that would actually play a few notes.  Aesthetics were not a consideration and so a number of the solutions were purely functional and done in the 'primitive' style, aesthetically.

But what we had ended up with was this.  Unconventional, agreed, and certainly not to everybody's taste, but actually not what many people would call butt ugly:

3NCV27bl.jpg

vMUfqqEl.jpg  

joSx9JNl.jpg

P2Qo6ePl.jpg

jU5uuiYl.jpg

And the deeply troubling thing?  Yup - that blasted Neutrik sticking up on a rough-cut pyramid :unsure:

I still had some cocobolo left over, so carved some alternatives for Tom - a back angled wedge, a tear-drop and even an option to poke it out of the back :)

I would do the lot when Tom came for his 'final fitting'

Don't worry folks, the epic saga is very nearly at its conclusion.... 

Edited by Andyjr1515

52 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Reminds me of the outline from a Streamer and the profile of a Saber. That the body is almost as thin as the neck is crazy! Even my Carl Thompson tribute bass wasn't that mad.

I know what you mean....the top horn...

Maybe Warwicks are popular in  The Gambia

I'll try to find some sound clips (Tom is supposed to be doing a full video review but it hasn't happened yet :rolleyes: :lol:) but it does sound very good.  Goes to show, all you need to do, at the end of the day, is separate the pickup from the strings and stop the neck clapping hands....  ;)

I (almost) promise this is the last final end finale fin terminus ultimate post of the saga.  This is the bass in action in Trafalgar Square in London:

N9dkRV8l.jpg

...and, if I've sorted the technology out properly, this is the YouTube video of part of the event

Thanks y'all :)

Andy