Fender Jaguar Marr Custom build

LushSkadoosh

Hi,

My friend and I are currently building a Fender Jaguar in Sherwood green based on Johnny Marr's custom model. We are currently stuck on the wiring and how to basically put all the components together and which component's we would need. On the top plate we have a 3 way panel in which we intend to create: A killswitch (toggle on/off), a treble boost (roller wheel), and a bass removal/minimiser (roller wheel). As this is our first build we have vague to no idea on how to add these features. A list of components with how we'd put them in would be greatly appreciated, (also how to ground it, as we don't want to get that wrong at all).

All help appreciated, Cheers

12483867_10206103112720298_1590278236_n.jpg

Other than that, it's not as difficult as you might think. How handy are you with a soldering iron and building small electronic circuits? The alternative is sourcing a small active EQ and adapting it to the pots you use in the rollers. The killswitch is the easiest bit of the lot thankfully.

• Like 1

I think we want to change out the treble boost for a gain control instead which will probably need batteries. I'm pretty competent with circuits and soldering, but neither of us are sure on how to wire the whole thing up, and because this hasn't really been done professionally before we can't find any schematics.

It can be worked out. Any circuit that involves gain or boosting a signal needs batteries as that is an active operation.

Believe me....this will have been done before....you've just not found it yet ;-)
Regardless, figuring it out from the ground up isn't that hard either. There are plenty of inexpensive basic EQs out there that can be modified to suit.

I'll let other people chime in....got ice hockey to go and worship. Finland vs. Russia tonight; if you know the local rivalries you can expect this will not let me post much more until it's all over....hahaha

• Like 1

The mods you are describing are generally just blocks tied together to achieve the end result. If it were me I'd probably connect all the blocks as: 'Unadulterated' Jaguar wiring -> Low cut -> Booster preamp -> Kill switch -> Output jack.

There are a few variable booster modules available from EMG or Guitarfetish. If you want to make your own there are lots to choose from. General Guitar Gadgets sell kits that can be made up.

A variable bass cut can be as little as a potentiometer and a cap.

Battery power is mandatory for any booster, so you will need to allow for space inside the guitar for one. Also consider how you're going to get access to the battery to replace it (removing the strings and lifting the scratch plate every time the battery goes flat will get tiresome very quickly).

Once you nail down what booster preamp you want to use we can probably help create some kind of wiring scheme for your project.

• Like 1

As there doesn't seem to be much room for a battery, we've decided to just go for the bass reducer and kill switch. We found the wiring schematics for an original Marr jaguar, but could do with some help on this one. The pickup selection is three way and we'd like it to go neck, both, bridge. Could you possibly help us with a wiring diagram and tell us which components we'd need?

So you want the pickups selected by a single lever switch, like a Fender Telecaster? Lots of Tele wiring diagrams on the net to choose from.

Third post here shows a bass cut control - just a 1meg ohm pot and one capacitor. Three alternative values of cap are shown. Caps are cheap, so buy one of each to see which one you prefer the sound of. The smaller the value of the cap the more bass will be removed.

Kill switch on a toggle can be found here.

Joining the three blocks together should present too much of a problem. Let us know if these look like what you're after.

• Like 1