New to the forum....

Thank you for your comments! nah aint the first build, although it is the first time I took photos. This was 2 years ago, all finished, just thought I'd share the photos. 

Some of how I made the neck:

gluing an "ear" to the headstock

image_25.jpeg

a veneer of chen chen

image_27.jpeg

image_28.jpeg

gluing Birds Eye

image_29.jpeg

meassuring the tuner holes

image_24.jpeg

some fret markers

image_26.jpeg

14 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Indeed! Great to see people hand planing body blanks. That's a good sharp iron you've got there too.

Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Ha Ha, well I aint got no machine! Any sugestions to a good planner are welcome!...........I guess I should try using my router....dumb dumb

Some body work,

cutting the neck pocket, I lost the pics of gluing the birds eye top, sorry

image_37.jpeg

got the electronics, Floyd and belly cut

image_38.jpeg

built the ax before going to the finish room, made sure it all clicked. These are Duncan Blackouts, they are so silent that even without soldering the ground wire it made no noise.

image_39.jpeg

image_40.jpeg

And of she goes to the finish room, that's my wifes' job, making some kinda antiburst

image_41.jpeg

2 hours ago, Guitaraxz said:

I still have the problem that after the frets are installed I lose all the shine. How do you guys do it?

Once the fretboard is polished, I don't touch it anymore. And I certainly don't need to touch it to install the frets. 

I don't use glue at all, the tension of the strings is enough to keep them in place.

Totally. Glue can make refrets more difficult for techs. I've never had to use it. The only glue I use in fret slots is to close up the ends, and even then a wax works better (after finishing of course).

I polish my fretboards and fretwork using a clean soft buffing wheel on completion, however it's not always practical to keep a fingerboard in a glossy state. Once it needs its first conditioning it tends to lose a little of the lustre.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Guitaraxz said:

I still have the problem that after the frets are installed I lose all the shine. How do you guys do it?

I do it exactly the same way you do. Try as I might I turn a liquid glass shine into a soft luster by the time she is done. I usually find a way to add a small ding or two as well. Gives it character.:P

SR

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Guitaraxz said:

image_35.jpeg

Looking at this picture, I can guess why you've lost the gloss... seems like you've polished in a perpendicular way at some point. That's a no-no. I would also suggest to mask the fretboard before doing leveling and crowning next time, to protect it from, you know... incidents. By that way, you don't touch the fretboard between installing the frets and putting the strings.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, psikoT said:

Once the fretboard is polished, I don't touch it anymore. And I certainly don't need to touch it to install the frets. 

I don't use glue at all, the tension of the strings is enough to keep them in place.

Yeah, i've thought about not using CA. The mess occurs when I have to clean up the glue, but I don't want a fret to pop up one day.

8 hours ago, psikoT said:

Looking at this picture, I can guess why you've lost the gloss... seems like you've polished in a perpendicular way at some point. That's a no-no. I would also suggest to mask the fretboard before doing leveling and crowning next time, to protect it from, you know... incidents. By that way, you don't touch the fretboard between installing the frets and putting the strings.

Yeah, next time I'll use masking tape!