7 & 8 string axe's

• 2 months later...

took of the tape and put some clear coats on 

image_177.jpeg

And ran into a HORRIBLE problem; the bridge was too tall......aaargh!

image_178.jpeg

3 sollutions seemed available; 1- take of the fretboard and make a thicker one. 2- Ditch the guitar and start from scratch. 3- Recess the bridge. .......... I chose the latter.....so time to do some fine routing

image_179.jpeg

And then paint her up with Stewmacs shielding paint

image_180.jpeg

Did some soldering and shielding

image_181.jpeg

Once installed the bridge looked fine and the strings were at a beutifull 1 mm height!

image_182.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you for the coments Scott & Prostheta!

As for the Deathbucker Alumitones from Lace my impresions are that they are either the upper part of mid gain (mid-high gain) or lower part of high gain (high-mid gain). But maybe that is because they seem to lack some bite, some high frequency spectrum. For instance a Duncan Mod 78 sounds like it has plenty of power because it has a lot of high mids in them, they have a good bite, yet they are mid gain pups. The Deathbucker Alumitones may have high gain but on the lower end. That may give them high gain in numbers but not in my ears. Great of you like dark tones.

They are absolutely noiseless, zero hum, so you can really add all the gain you want in your setup. They sounded nice and clean when the seven string ax was tuned in B (normal) but when I used the tuning my client wanted, the seventh string down to G, it was fizzy. That was the same guitar, same amp, same player (me), but when I tuned down I could hear theis fizz which made me lose clarity in complicated riffs. 

For a 7 string metal head ax I preffer a Nazgul-Sentient Duncan set, but those pups are not as loooong as the Alumitones (thus limiting how angled you can place them) nor do they look as good. 

Some pics,

Neck

Three piece neck thru; Cedar-Chen Chen-Cedar

Fanned Stewmac Jumbo frets; 28.5”-25.5”

Rosewood fingerboard

Headstock; 8 degree fall away, Palo Escrito veneer

Inlay; glow in the dark

Body

Woods; Caoba Blanca (white mahogany) wings, Palo Escrito top.

Bridge; Fanned Fret Innovations individual bridges.

Finish; Sherwin Williams blue dye & Polyurethane

Electronics

Pickups; Lace Alumitone Deathbuckers

Pots; CTS

Jack; Switchcraft

image_189.jpeg

image_195.jpeg

image_194.jpeg

image_193.jpeg

image_192.jpeg

image_191.jpeg

Thanks for watching!