2.5itim's 2nd build

Oh what....no speed control? Yikes. Most non-controllable routers operate in the 25-35k mark....a 2" bit should never run at those speeds because any runout would generate YUGE vibration issues amongst other "spectacular" things. Super dangerous!

That's about 200-300ft/s!!! Router bits should be run at HALF that speed....super sketchy is being kind. Launching oneself permanently out of the gene puddle like a submarine ballistic missile is more like it.

13 hours ago, 2.5itim said:

My gosh Scott, that carve looks amazing! I really have my work cut out for me lol. 

I noticed you mentioned about your hat "head into the Texas hill country to pick one up!" Where are you from if you don't mind me asking? I grew up just north of Houston but lived in bandera tx which is in the hill country just west of SA. I sure do miss that place! All of my family is down there, one of these days I need to move back. 

I was born and raised just east of Kansas City, but have been in Texas the last 21 years, first down in McAllen and the northwest side of Houston since '01. I'm a  fan of Bandera, what a cool little town!

That old hat came from either Uvalde or Kerrville, I no longer remember which.

Oh, and does PiskoT have a thread for that? I'll say he does. That grew up to be the first Guitar of the Year and deservedly so! That is an amazing guitar!

SR

3 hours ago, 2.5itim said:

I see what you're say psikot, thanks for those pics that looks great! Do you have a build thread on that? 

Actually, I'm not really proud of that build I've shown, as it was my first attempt with body carving, but maybe you can find this one more inspiring. That time I've used a straight router bit for the security contour. Hope you find it useful.

http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/47269-7-strings-ashwenge

26 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I was born and raised just east of Kansas City, but have been in Texas the last 21 years, first down in McAllen and the northwest side of Houston since '01. I'm a  fan of Bandera, what a cool little town!

That old hat came from either Uvalde or Kerrville, I no longer remember which.

Oh, and does PiskoT have a thread for that? I'll say he does. That grew up to be the first Guitar of the Year and deservedly so! That is an amazing guitar!

SR

Ahh small world, yeah I was born in humble and lived there till I was 11, all of my dads family is still living in Cleveland, then I moved to bandera and stayed there for about 7 years. Bandera is a really cool town and all of my moms family are still there. If I was to move back honestly it would probably be to kerrville. 

Gosh I miss the hill country lol, I have to go over to Arkansas about once a month now to get my hills fix but it just isn't the same. 

Small world indeed. I used to have family in Tulsa and still go through every so often. I spent about 7 years in southeast Kansas and used to take a drive through Arkansas about once a month too, just to get the hills taste back in my mouth.

And my mistake, I was thinking the pic PsikoT showed was from the build he just posted. That one is worth studying.

SR

• Like 1

My truss rod came in the mail a couple days ago so the last 2 nights have been spent working on the neck, yesterday I got the fret slots cut, truss rod slot cut and fretboard glued up to the neck and let it sit over night. Tonight I got the neck taper cut to shape and headstock shape routed. 

I had a little issue with the neck template, I'm not sure how people usually use these templates with the headstock and neck combined as one but I had to cut them into two in order to cut the headstock shape. It wasn't a big deal but when I was cutting the overhang of the fretboard off where the nut will sit so I could butt the template up to the nut line, I had a little slip up and took a chunk out of the first fret, I'm thinking that most of this will be gone after radiusing the fretboard but just in case I kept the chunk that came off and will glue it back on. 

Anyways on to the pics, thanks for looking!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thank you Andrew! 

Pros, you make a very valid point! I didn't even think about it but that way if I end up screwing up a template I can make another set off the masters. I will go ahead and make up another set. 

This morning I got the heel block glued on, routed to the shape of the neck, thicknessed the headstock and routed the back of the neck to get the thickness and taper that I want. 

Now im off to court for a stupid ticket and I will pick this back up when I get home!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Haha I know! They just have to get money from somewhere so they take it out on hard working people that are just trying to make ends meet, to try and fund there rediculous city spending. They did drop the ticket so now I just have to pay $80 for court cost which still seems crazy to me! Anyways rant over haha! 

Psikot, I hadn't used a template to trim the fretboard before this one, I would usually mark a line where I wanted at each end of the fretboard, put a straight edge down and used that as my "template", I have to say it was quite nice doing it this way for a change. 

I got a bit of work done on the neck today, I got it all carved out just need to carve the transfer into the heel block now. 

im trying to decide what exactly I want to do next on this do y'all think I should go ahead and route the tremolo, pickup and neck cavities before carving the top or carve the top first?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Huh. I have a shop cat called Spit. He's a good companion whilst working too. Shop animals are a weird idea on the face of it, but vital.

I agree it is a weird idea, but he does help keep me sane at times. When I screw up something I usually just go play fetch in the yard lol. He enjoys hanging out in the shop until power tools get involved.