2.5itim's 2nd build

Well I shouldn't have routed the pickup cavities on this type of neck pocket before the neck pocket itself, now after a $150 bill I think I can finally get this neck pocket routed tomorrow when my new router shows up. 

Because the longest template bearing I can get in 1/4" shaft which is what my router is was 1", and because around the pickup cavity area there's nothing for my bearing to run along anymore since that material is already gone. So I had to go to woodcraft and get a 1/2" shaft 1/2" diameter 1-5/8" cutting length bit (which doesn't have a bearing so I'm just going to run the shaft along my template which should work fine I think), but because of the 1/2" shank I had to buy a new router which they didn't have in stock so I had to order it and it will be here tomorrow. 

So today I got my neck pocket taper jig sorted out, at 12" from the front of my body I need the template raised .420 off the face of the body to give me my taper, so I cut a piece of wood at .420 to use as a riser block, double sided tape, regular tape and clamps this dude shouldn't be moving anywhere. 

image.jpg

Well I got my neck pocket cut last Thursday, I don't know what the hell happened but I practiced on 2 scrap boards and those the neck fit perfect, nice and snug! I routed it on my body and now the pocket is to big, I can almost squeeze in 2 pieces of .023 veneer. 

I blew my knee out on thursday night so I have a while to think about how I'm gonna fix this. I'm kind of thinking about glueing 2 pieces of veneer on each side of the pocket and then my neck should fit tight, what do y'all think?

Yeah, that's likely the best way to go. Bummer, that it happened, but that's another good repair trick to learn. Sometimes the mark of a good builder is how well he recovers from mistakes.

Bummer about the blown knee too, I've been there before as well.

SR

• Like 1

Yeah I'm really itching to get out there and try to get this sorted out but It's gonna be a bit, I think that I can make the veneer work, I'm gonna go to woodcraft and get some maple veneer at some point to try and make it a little less noticeable. 

Thanks scott, this is my 3rd go around of dislocated knees but the first one on this leg. I think I was just plagued with bad knees from the get go. 

Pros, the only reason that I could think that this happened was because I used 2 different router bits. For the test pieces I used a 3/4" bit with a bearing, for the actual pieces I used a 1/2" bit without a bearing and just used the shaft to run along the template. That's the only difference between them so it must be it. 

Ouch ouch ouch. No matter how anybody recommends doing this, don't! It truly is a bad idea. Even at low speeds with a clean bit, the shaft still burnishes and heats up the template surface, often burning it up. There are better ways, and they're cheaper than causing problems with expensive workpieces....! Ouch.

Honestly I knew that I shouldn't do it but it's the only way that I could think of to do it, I really screwed myself by cutting the pickup cavity first, if I hadn't of done that I could have just used my regular bearing router bit. I took extra precaution to cut all the material out without touching the template until the final cleanup pass but I guess even still it made my template bigger. 

Well, lesson learned and now gotta focus on getting it fixed!

Edited by 2.5itim

Ok we are back in business here! I found my center line on the neck and figured out that the neck pocket was slightly off center from the center of the body towards the treble side so I glued up a piece of maple veneer on that side to push the neck back over to center and now we are all centered up and a nice tight fit!! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks man!!! My buddy who this guitar is for wanted as close to a prs as I could get, he has 4 prs's so needless to say my work is really cut out for me here lol. 

I got the space cut out for the neck pickup on the neck also. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I agree pros, I was just sitting here last night looking at this thing and thinking about how it's pretty crazy how a carve on a top can completely change the look of a guitar. I'm definitely going to make another one of these things as a flat top at some point. 

Somebody talk me out of this!!! 

I have been watching numerous videos on carving a top with a 4" angle grinder and 80 grit flap disk. I did a test on some scraps and really it didn't turn out to bad, so with that being said should I take a grinder to a $300 piece of wood? Lol

i am pretty dang good with a grinder and I think I can manage this

image.jpeg

image.jpeg