3rd?!? Shhhh...

The shellac might be reacting with the solvent in the primer also....is it water-based? I mean, shellac is sticky in that virtually everything sticks to it (and vice versa) so any re-activation of the shellac would create a bit of a mess. I don't think I can get gel stains here so I can't reproduce the technique to help illustrate what is happening. I've got a bead on some nice Ash though....

The primer is water based, I might just have to bite the bullet and pay $22 for transtint black pigment and mix that into nitro lacquer to get rid of the shellac all together. It seems that transtint is the only thing I can find that will mix with nitro and I think if I leave the nitro on for enough time to "cure" before applying the primer I may get good results. 

Im going to bring all of my spare ash to work and run it thru the media blaster because I'm starting to run out of test pieces lol. 

Yep, I'm super happy with how this turned out, I think the open grain look just gives it enough to look at over the smoothness of the other way I had it without being overbearing. 

Im gonna let this sit over the weekend while I go enjoy the awesome scenery of Arkansas and will spray lacquer when I get home. 

image.jpeg

39 minutes ago, SIMpleONe89 said:

That looks good. I bet it'll look great if left as a matte finish. I can barely see the patched area but I'm not sure if it's some lacquer run in the area above the bridge pup cavity. 

There is one spot in the patched area that is still slightly showing the open pores, only slightly. You can only see it at certain angles, I'm gonna see how it looks after nitro and then decide if I want to put a pick guard on it to cover it up. I have had a bad urge to make some pick guards out of Damascus steel so this just might be one that gets it. 

Thanks andrew, I apreciate that!!

• Like 1

Haha Andrew I really really want to! I've been wanting to do a bunch with Damascus but it's so damn expensive, we will have to see if I can get it into the budget. 

I know Andrew has already seen this but I might as well put it on this post since the first one I make will be going on this guitar but I spent a little time yesterday with my programmer and we got the bridge designed and the cad drawing finished of my 6 string fixed bridge and the program wrote, I still need to draw up and program my saddles but I should be able to start cutting material on Monday. 

I couldn't figure out how to post video so I will just post some screen shots of the simulation running. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by 2.5itim
  • Like 1

I freaking got it!!! I got back from Arkansas around 10 this morning and got straight to work on this. It took me about 7 hours to get the red how I wanted but I think it is perfect!! 

So the steps that I took in case anyone else wants to do it are as follows,

go thru the open grain with a wire brush and dig out the pores

finish sand to 320 

acrylic based primer

Water based auto black base coat let dry over the weekend 

2 coats of shellac let sit for 1 hour 

red water based paint applied by hand with a little bitty art paint brush this takes forever so start at one side of the body and by the time you finish on the other side the first side is dry enough for the next step

"sand" the top with 0000 steel wool, I found it best to go against the grain because then it focuses more on taking the red off the black areas instead of pulling out the red from the open pores

I didn't want this to stand out a whole lot so I did one last final coat with the black base coat, this coat I turned my gun way down to where it barely let any liquid thru. I didn't want it to completely cover the red just dull it down a bit. 

Spray the nitro as a finish. 

And thats it, here's the pics!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 2.5itim

Thanks Andrew, it has been a huge headache and I don't know if I will ever do it again but I am very happy with it. 

As for the "muted red" it's pretty dang cool, in my shop light you almost can't even see it, it just looks mostly black but in the sun it still pops. 

My first bridge which will be used on this guitar just came off the mill, I couldn't find a 1/2" chamfer tool for the mounting holes in the whole shop so I'm gonna go buy one now and chamfer them tomorrow and I will cut the floor height when I do that. Then it's just off to anodizing, I'm kind of thinking about doing this one red to match the top and set it off a little bit!

heres some pics! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

Haha yep! I will be selling these in 6,7 and 8 string in single scale and multi scale configurations, out of aluminum and brass so keep me in mind if you find yourself needing some lol

Edited by 2.5itim
  • Like 1

PsikoT thanks man, I'm hoping to get the saddles ran next week. I want to run about 100 at a time so I need to order a little more aluminum for that. 

Scott I think it would be cool and different, maybe a red bridge and knobs, I'll do one red and one black and if I think it looks tacky I'll go with the black.