Regius meets RG: first build in progress

@DandHcustoms: I'm in the Netherlands, The Hague area

@stevie1556: the price difference between MDF and acrylic is only due to a difference in material cost. The laser cutting itself is charged by the total path length over which the laser cuts. But a large enough sheet of MDF is about €7 while the same size in acrylic is between €50 (5 mm) and €77 (8 mm).

Edited by Rockhorst

• 1 month later...

Getting ready to get back on track after a holiday travelling around New Zealand's North Island :) Hoping to us my neighbours power tools tomorrow (he's a building contractor, so band saws and stuff aplenty at his workshop). Most important task is to cut the 14 degree scarf joint. Hoping that goes well.

Just a quick double check: all my bolt-on guitars have a heel height of 20 mm, but my blank is only 19 mm. I could make the fretboard a bit thicker or route the neck pocket a little less deep. That would be fine right, no serious structural issues?

On 7/10/2016 at 2:58 AM, DandHcustoms said:

I saw some one else on here or sso that had a similar jig so I had to make one it's a great idea! 

A router sled  isn't terrible for cutting scarf joints it just takes some time to get the Jig set up properly and of course actually cut the scarf. Where are you located there may be somebody from this group that is close by that wouldn't mind helping you outmind helping you out

Plans for a jig to cut a scarf joint with a hand saw on my Cherry Bomb thread page 2 :)

PS if you use the plan just scroll down to the picture of the jig being used to correct the placement of one of the dowel guides.

• 2 weeks later...

@Muzz: thanks for that scarf cut jig! Very clever and hadn't seen that yet. I had the pieces cut on a bandsaw and held them against a big belt sander. Got me reasonably close in a very short amount of time, but it's definitely not perfect jet. Getting it perfect by hand is hard. I tried a sanding jig like you used before, and the result for me was not on par. Figuring out a way to do this is my next bottleneck.

By the way, I've started on a cigar box guitar as a parallel project, coming along nicely and a little less complicated.

• Like 1

Sanding is my preferred method of truing up the faces, however there's something very very specific that I do to ensure that the face doesn't round off over one side of the neck part, and that's to "bounce" it when I'm placing the face down onto the sanding surface. That is, place the edge where the scarf meets the flat fingerboard glueing face of the neck onto the sanding platen and then push down with the fingers I use to hold the scarf flat so it pivots down onto the surface. It should bounce slightly as you rock it into position, and I use that to gauge the balance better. Not sure if that makes much sense because it's a really physical practice. The objective is to ensure that the face is getting more or less even pressure rather than say, concentrated to one side or at the nut break edge. Does that make sense?

Usually cleanup of this kind over an old 120grit sanding belt on a board should take only a few swipes. I promise to cover that in better detail in one of the first ProjectGuitar.com video tutorials. Got to get lighting set up first since the workshop is north-facing!

Kind of. The bounce is simply to get a feel for how the piece is balancing so you know whether there is too much weight on once side or the other. If you pressed right at the end (where the thin bit is) then you'd take more off that edge than the other, partially increasing the angle or rounding off the edge. Does that help? I really need to show this!

Here's a first look at what I think is adequate enough to start gluing. I've tacked it together with a tiny smidgeon of glue and will make a jig to hold it in place for final gluing.

purpleneck01_zpsbemsiaga.jpg

purpleneck03_zpsegoamhwg.jpg

purpleneck02_zpsiij2i4z4.jpg

As you can see, the double stripe continues across the scarf. Unless I get it aligned 100% perfect, that might pose a cosmetic problem. So I was thinking of sandwiching a piece of ebony headstock veneer (0.15 mm thick) between the two pieces. This would accentuate the parabola shape after shaping the neck, which I think might actually be a very nice touch. Thoughts?

Edited by Rockhorst

Gluing seems to have gone well this time! It was a race against the clock, but I was better prepared this time. I've also managed to sand it about perfectly flat by hand, but will probably still have it pass through a drum sander.

scarf_glued01_zpsjndvzvcg.jpg

scarf_glued02_zps4sadvwfm.jpg

scarf_glued04_zpsdkvbmpan.jpg

scarf_glued05_zpsc79nw4ud.jpg

Meanwhile my fretting supplies have come in, I'll be testing those out on the cigar box guitar the coming week. And I've received samples of stain to try with the poplar off cuts. I've also made a photoshop mock up with the actual woods (ignore the fancy inlay). Not sure I can pull of the binding on the neck and headstock, but I've put it in for now.

regius_wood_zpsgmwi7a3x.jpg

Stuff was progressing way to nicely without mistakes. Fixed that...I added a 0.5 mm headstock veneer and should have glued it slightly proud. Sadly, I didn't notice it slipping while clamping, so now it's short of the line between neck and headstock angle. Suggestions on how to fix this? I've got another sheet of veneer available.

vineer01_zpsuhhorcus.jpg

vineer02_zpsc4wrvnsm.jpg

37 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Depends on how you want to do it and how much meat there is in that area. I don't think it's a super critical error, just a bit annoying.

I totally forgot to consider the nut, so as soon as you mentioned it, I started seeing possibilities. Seems like an easy fix, although I have to rethink my templates a bit. I'll probably shape the fretboard contour separately from the neck and then use that as a template for routing the neck.